Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Needing to know how to figure out the right amount of medicine to have for a pill count?

Comments

• I have the same I can take up to 8 a day or less depending on how my day is but if I take 8 a day I will run out. My prescriptions are always written able to fill at least two to three days early but I never do. I always go by the 30 day rule which is days between when I filled the last one then in 30 days I can refill. My doctor gives me three prescription refills posted dated. We had the conversation about cutting back he wants me to only when I can but I am doing that now and it is hell. He also said keep some in reserve we never know what will happen but he trusts me  thank heavens. There has been a few times when he had me try new ones and they did not work and I asked him if he wanted me to bring them in he said no take them to a drop box the paperwork is a nightmare. 
    I don't mind the pill count thing or the urine tests if it ensures us we will get our meds. small price to pay right.
    Sherri
  • @ ltee43    most states only allow a 30 day supply for scheduled drugs, doesn't matter how many days are in the month, it's a 30 day supply.   if it says 4 per day, then that's all you can take or you will run out and if you call doctor to pick up a rx before they are due, many states require docs to call police as you are "abusing" your scheduled drugs by taking more than ordered......

laws on pain meds are getting stricter since so many people either abuse them, or sell them.   it makes it difficult for those who use them as ordered
  • advertisement
  • You really should speak to your doctor about ordering the correct amount - if he/she says you can take up to 8 a day, that would be 240 tablets, if you are needing those 8 a day and only get 200 tablets, you will run out before your 30 days are up, leaving you 5 days with no pain medication.   Most states now have laws that allow only for 30 day supply of scheduled drugs and if a patient uses them before the 30 days are up, the doctor is suppose to call the police........that is why it is very important to discuss how many you are taking and make sure you are prescribed the proper amount.  Most states will not allow scheduled drugs to be refilled early, and even if they do, many doctors will not write a RX refill before the 30 days are up - your doc is giving you enough to take 6 a day (6.6), so if you don't want to run out, don't take more than 6 a day until you can discuss it and see why he/she is not ordering the 240 count allowing for the 8 a day
  • @ dilauro   i've never heard of a doctor telling patient they must bring in any left over meds at end of month

@ metalneck   " what happens when your pills are based on say 1 every four hours for a total of 4 a day ."    you should talk to your doctor about that one, he/she can't count.  if it says 1 every 4 hrs then you should have a total of 6 pills a day, 180 pills for 30 days.   even if you slept 6 hrs a night, and take your pill every 4 hrs, you'd still need more than 4,  i.e.  take at  6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm,  that would be 5 pills a day and if you only sleep 4 hrs then you'd be taking 6 pills a day assuming you take them every 4 hrs.   depending on the type of meds you are taking, i.e. pain meds (narcotics) unless you are home 24/7, you should not be taking naroctics and driving and/or working, if you got stopped, had an accident and had blood drawn, or had a random drug screening at work, you would be under the influence and in many states, that can land you a hefty fine, jail time, loss of drivers license and loss of your job.....just something to think on
  • I did see a pill-count mention in my pain contract, I guess it would be up to each doctor to enforce it. I used to be able to get a refill on every 27th of any month. Now with the short February, that is taken into account and they wouldn't fill it any earlier. Of course on the 31-day months it doesn't swing the other way.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • advertisement
  • rosie123456 posts: 3
    @ dilauro   i've never heard of a doctor telling patient they must bring in any left over meds at end of month

@ metalneck   " what happens when your pills are based on say 1 every four hours for a total of 4 a day ."    you should talk to your doctor about that one, he/she can't count.  if it says 1 every 4 hrs then you should have a total of 6 pills a day, 180 pills for 30 days.   even if you slept 6 hrs a night, and take your pill every 4 hrs, you'd still need more than 4,  i.e.  take at  6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm,  that would be 5 pills a day and if you only sleep 4 hrs then you'd be taking 6 pills a day assuming you take them every 4 hrs.   depending on the type of meds you are taking, i.e. pain meds (narcotics) unless you are home 24/7, you should not be taking naroctics and driving and/or working, if you got stopped, had an accident and had blood drawn, or had a random drug screening at work, you would be under the influence and in many states, that can land you a hefty fine, jail time, loss of drivers license and loss of your job.....just something to think on

rosie, that's a nice concept in the land of milk and honey...but i'm just going to have to take my chances.  with my being on opiates for the last 17 years and will be until i die, i don't think i could have afforded to retire at 44 years old just because i am on a therapeutic dose of opiates...and i surely can't afford a taxi to and from work and everywhere else i have to go...and my job in my state is not one that is classified a "non-narcotic" (pilot, etc.), so as long as i have the rx bottles to match up with what's in my system, i'm good to go on the employment end      
advertisement