Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How do I prevent myself from sleeping in fetal position?

For the past 2 years I've suffered upper back and neck pain, i've been to a physio, osteo, and for redmedial massage. The neck pain is really bad at the moment. I sleep on my side and I always wake up during the night and in the morning with my head pointed down causing neck strain - the fetal position.  I now think that my tendancy to sleep in this position maybe causing the proplem.

I''ve tried various pillows over the past few years and am iin the process of getting a made to measure pillow but I not think this isn't the main cause.

I guess I need advice on how to keep my neck in a healthy position throughout the night and avoid the fetal position. Is this possible? Is there a technique or cetain type of pillow that can help?

I've read lots online about this being a bad position to lie in but nothing to advise on how to prevent doing it so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
advertisement

Comments

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 677
    I've always slept on my side till. I broke my neck 3 years ago. Now   I sleep on my back.
    Not to make light of your problem but. I wish. I could on my side,   I've tried and it isn't as easy.
    welcome to spine health. There are allot of people on here, someone should be able to help you.
           God.  Bless
  • I think sleeping in this position is causing the constant pain i've had for the past 2 years, I have found this very debilitating and I can only imagine not even having much of a choice but to sleep on your back.  I wish you the best Mike :)
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello jandal !
    you may want to use search, upper right on page, for comments, articles or videos re your concerns.

please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History