Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

First night post-op L4-L5 microdiscectomy

Hello. I'm 30 years old and in relatively great health other than some back problems from years of abuse in sports followed by years of abuse at a desk.

Looking back, I wouldn't even be here had I not happened to finally be referred for an MRI which just so happened to show quite possibly one of the worst herniations you can come across. I was basically a walking emergency CES surgery waiting to happen due to the severe amount of canal narrowing. 

Anyways I was in for surgery in what I would call a shockingly short amount of time and am now 7 hours out and home resting comfortably. I can immediately tell a difference in my legs, buttocks and hips and I can only say they feel absolutely fresh and pain free at this point. I've also yet to have any kind of pain at the surgical site, but I'm trying not to get lulled into a false sense of security.

It has to be coming right? Can I ask when everyone else's pain began to show itself after surgery? I took one pain pill a fee minutes ago in hopes that it prevents me from waking up with any kind of pain. Any other suggestions for the first night? 

I also have to give thanks to my fantastic neurosurgeon and his team as this whole process could not have gone smoother so far.  
advertisement

Comments

• hello, tacomguy29!

thank you for posting!!  i'm so happy to hear that you're experiencing a good surgical outcome so far!!  everyone's recovery is so different--it's quite possible you won't have to worry about "what's coming" as far as an increase in post-op pain is concerned. 

i'd like to welcome you to the forums!  please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

welcome to spine-health">
    welcome to spine-health

Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Hi Tacomaguy29,

I had a laminectomy in Jan of this year. My pain came immediately after I woke up from surgery. Everyone is different though.  Just don't push yourself just because you feel well. My Neuro told me in the first two weeks, you need to move and walk but do not lift or twist at all. I am 2 months out from surgery and was told last week I have to have a second surgery due to the amount of pain I am in. Just be patient and positive!  Good luck!!!!
  • advertisement
  • Megs...I can relate.  I woke up from surgery thinking I'd been cut in half at the waist!!  Thanks for sharing!!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Hi Meg, 

I'm sorry to hear about your pain and that you now need a second surgery. 

I'm definitely more sore in my lower back than yesterday. Any leg pain is non existent though now which is a good sign. Also having some hip pain but will see how that goes over the next week as I start to walk more. 

It feels darn near impossible to not do any twisting, especially in bed. 
  • Kimmy, 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. My Neuro told me before surgery I should feel immediately better when I wake up. So when I woke up, I was like omg what's wrong???? My Neuro came in and I asked him and he said it could take months to feel better. Well, I told him that wasn't what he said at my pre op visit.  He then went on to say everyone is different. I believe that but I was disappointed in false hope. Now any position hurts (standing,laying down, and esp sitting on a soft surface such as a couch). 

Tacoma,

The next few days will be the days where the pain seems to become elevated. You will get really frustrated because you won't be able to do what you could before surgery. I still try to stay positive every day even with a new surgery looming. (I got hurt at work and have been on medical leave for over 9 months now)But then I will move somehow and the whole world stops. My left leg numbness is worse now and sometimes I get pain in my right leg. Just listen to your body and if you have a concern,  don't put it off to be "strong." I was told it is very easy to re herniate after surgery. I believe your hi pain is normal because I had it something fierce after surgery and still do. Stay positive!!
  • advertisement
  • I'm now four days post-op. Yesterday I really felt good and was up and walking a lot, but I might have overdid it, because I'm more sore today. I'm finding that sitting up at all is the hardest part. I'm not needing the pain meds much and was only taking the Norco at night. Last two nights had some very strange reactions to it though, so will see if I can sleep without it. 

I'm worried I'm not progressing as quick as I should be though. Do I need to be walking more after 4 days? 
  • Hi Tacoma,

I have found sitting is the hardest for me as well.  Trying to get up will make my back FREAK out. Try not to push too hard in the first week. My doctor said to get up and walk 5-10 mins every few hours. Your body just had surgery and it needs to heal. As far as progressing not fast enough, don't worry about that because re-injuring can happen right after surgery due to people teying too hard to get back to "normal." You should be having a follow up soon so you can bring all those issues up with your doctor. All doctors seem to be different when it comes to a healing timeline. 
  • tjlazerttjlazer TacomaPosts: 44

Curious how you are doing now Tacoma.

• TacomGuy29TTacomGuy29 Posts: 26
    edited 04/15/2017 - 12:43 PM
    @tjlazer

It's been 5 weeks now I guess, maybe a little more since the surgery and I feel great. I've been back to work full time for a couple of weeks now and am walking, standing and sitting as long as I want or need to. Basically back to the normal routine, minus anything really physical. My back and legs honestly feel better and stronger than they have in a couple of years,which leads me to believe the herniation had been building up for some time before finally exploding into what it became prior to surgery.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,357
    TacomGuy29

That is great news!! Although you are back at work, you are still not completely healed. Please be careful and take care. As you know, our spines have to last a lifetime.

Everyone here have a great Easter!!
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement