Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New spondylolisthesis above my existing lumbar fusion

NorskigirlNNorskigirl Colorado Posts: 4
edited 03/07/2017 - 4:29 PM in Lower Back Pain
I had a L4-5 fusion in March 2010. I had a spondylolisthesis, fractured vertebrae, plates, screws, laminectomy. 11 months later I had a cervical fusion at C 2-3, C3-4 with myelopathy, plates, screws, and cage. Last year I had pain in my lower back. I happened to see a Dr. so I could get PT. He ordered x-rays since I hadn't had new x-rays or MRI's for 3 years. It showed a new spondylolisthesis at L3-4 directly above my existing fusion. For the last year I've been going to pain management. I've had several injections and I just had my 2nd radiofrequency nerve ablation in Jan. 2017. I waited a month. I finally got 5 days of pain relief 2 weeks ago. The problem is the pain is increasing. It's a sharp stabbing pain. It lasted all day yesterday. My concern is there have been no X-rays to monitor the new spondylolisthesis in a year. I had flexion / extension x-rays with my first lumbar surgery and afterwards. The P.A. at pain management has mentioned they might try a spinal cord stimulator. I called them and told them I didn't get much pain relief after the procedure and the pain is worse. I go in next week. The increase in pain is scary. My last MRI 3 years ago showed changes at almost every level in my spine. I've tried conservative therapy for a year now. It's very expensive. I can hardly do anything. I can't stand for long. I don't want to do anything unless it's a rare day when I can. I'm hoping they will help me. I'm already on strong meds that do help. The PT I had last year wasn't very helpful. I had stronger exercises after my surgery than what the physical therapist had me do. She had me to do kegels. I want to know how to move to not aggravate anything. I've figured that out on my own. Sorry so long. I'm just frustrated with another issue on top of the fusions I already have and this increase in pain. 
advertisement