Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

help: Does numbness reduce or go away after surgery

Hi,

I need some help from folks who had numbness and had surgery. Does the numbness improve?

I had this occasional numbness which would come and go.Over last month it became permanent.

I am wondering if it would improve after surgery

Sukh
MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Sukh,

I am currently experiencing full numbness on the left side from my hip down to my toes. I had a laminectomy Jan of this year and my doctor said the numbness should go away/drastically improve immediately after surgery. It did not. I am having the same surgery on Tuesday to see if he can figure out why the pain and numbness is still there. Talk with your doctor about it. There could be a major issue or as my doctor said it could end up being permanent nerve damage.  Good luck. 
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 205
    What surgery did you have? I guess its lumber.
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,342
    I had surgery Jan 19th to have a pain pump implanted. That was on my left upper side of my stomach. They also had to run the catheter to my spine, another incision on T10.
    Both of  these incisions, as well as the surrounding areas, are still numb. My surgeon said the feeling might or might not come back, no guarantee.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • after i had my surgery on l5-s1 as soon as i was in my room my doctor came in and asked me if i felt the numbness and tingling and i was happy to report that i had none and he was happy with the sucess
  • tjlazerttjlazer TacomaPosts: 44
    I had L5/S1 discectomy 3 months ago, and I still have numbness and tingling.  Was getting better for a bit then over did some things and I started to have more back pain and leg pain and the numbness increased.  Now back on a Medrol dose pak and taking it easy.  I was told it can take a year for the numbess to improve and sometimes it will be permanent.  The bottom line is you have to decompress the nerves asap for them to start to heal.  The longer the compression the more likely there will be lasting damage.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,515
    My last spinal surgery was 03/21/16, a Laminectomy / Decompression for Spinal Stenosis L2-L5.  My nerves were badly damaged and as a result I still have nerve pain today.  Its getting better, but I still have some days where the nerves are really bothering me.  My surgeon told me expect anywhere from 13 - 24 months before the nerve pain disappears, but also be aware based on the condition of the nerves I will always be subject to some nerve pain  (between that surgery and the 6 other spinal surgeries)
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 205
    I appreciate the responses!

I I have my surgery on the 14th and I feel so much worried. Even a couple of days back I was calm.
  • I am a week post laminectomy, I still have the numbness I had pre-surgery. I can't really tell if it's improved or not, I just know it's still there. I know that if I didn't get the surgery it could have got a lot worse, so as of right now I am glad I had the surgery done.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,342
    angryrose

Give it time, it should improve with time, you are only a week out. Just don't bend or twist but walk when you can.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement