Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Medication experience

Hello
i know I cannot ask for specific advice, but thought I would enquire about your experiences.  I have pain on a consistent 6-7 level on the pain scale.  After taking my medication I can bring it down to a 3-4 for about 2 hours but it starts to come back at hour 3.   My pain is in my entire spine, cervical, thoracic and lumbar.  I have had PT, injections and radio frequency
ablations, all have given some pain relief, but not long term.   I am not a good candidate for surgery. 

I have herniated discs, arthritis in my facet joints, tarlov cysts, bone island in my thoracic area, bone growths pressing on nerves throughout my spine.  My question is more geared toward medication management.  I take OxyContin twice a day, Percocet for breakthrough pain (10 mg twice a day) and a muscle relaxer twice a day.    It's really not working as it use to.  I have been on this regimen about  three years, with some increases in dosage and injections in all areas throughout the year..  When speaking to my doctor recently , he is mentioning changing to a fentynol patch.  I am definitely getting pain relief from my current regimen but really not enough to keep me comfortable - that said, I'm fearful of making a change to a patch.  With my current dosage I'm at about a 4, not great but if you compare to an 8 on the pain scale, It is good. .   I know you all cannot tell me what to do, but any personal experience on pills vs, patches would be helpful.   I have a great doctor so I'm sure I can go back if the patch doesn't work, but in today's current environment, I sometimes wonder if I should leave well enough alone.  Thanks for reading.   Kindest regards, k. 
kelz
advertisement

Comments

• Sometimes, switching up medications can help with tolerance issues.  When your body becomes used to a certain medication, it can eventually take more of the medication to produce the pain-relieving effects that you had when you first started taking

Personally, I did not experience much success with the patches, but you may find that the switch bring you significant relief!  Trial and error is the only way to find out if something either works or doesn't!  I can relate to accepting a pain level of 4 as "good"!  When you've spent ages swinging between levels of 7-10 (and beyond), a 4 seems like a break!!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,065
    Kelz, I agree with Kimmy, sometimes switching up pain medications can help with tolerance issues. So, if you feel like it could be better, discuss this with your doctor. But, maybe with the understanding that if a switch doesn't help, try something else.
    I was on 75 mcg fentanyl patch for about three years. In the beginning they helped but then as time went on and my condition got worse, nothing worked.
    It really boils down to what each individual can tolerate all day. I was living with constant 10+, now, a 4 for me is very tolerable. 
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement