Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fentanyl patch treatment

I am seeing a pain management doctor for spinal stenosis and herniated disc in lumbar. Oxycodone 5mg-325 acetaminophen stopped working and hydrocodone 10mg-325 acetaminophen did not work without ibuprofen 800mg added which was causing stomach problems and blood in the stool. The doctor now prescribed me fentanyl 25mcg patch. The warning label says fentanyl is dangerous and only should be taken after other opioids stop working completely. Is this medicine supposed to be given as an early treatment? I was waking up at night with 10/10 back and leg pain and it was causing sleep loss. I also have severe pain upon waking in morning. Has anyone else been prescribed fentanyl as an early treatment or is it a last resort?
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Murray - I have had it prescribed in both manners you mentioned (and everything in between)  There are a vast number of different medications both LA SR (Long acting - sustained release)  and IR (immediate release) in additional to the couple you mentioned.  Your situation and timing for what med at what strength - when - how long etc.  Is a conversation that you must have with your PM doctor.  If still in doubt of the recommended course of action(s) - seek a second opinion from another PM. 

Regards,

MN