Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Lower back and thigh fatigue

Hello everybody,
I'm new to this forum. Some backgrounds about me: i've been playing basketball for about 7 years since high school. Mostly just pickup basketball, i was never on a team, so not very physical basketball and no major injury. I used to play for around 3-4 hours/day for 4-5 days/week. So about 1.5 years ago i stopped, not completely, just a lot less than i used to because of work and college (maybe once every 2 weeks), but i still workout 3 days/week. Now at 23, i'm starting to feel some strange fatigue in my right lower back and my right buttock/thigh whenever i run for about 15 mins. My right leg would feel really heavy and tight which was strange because my legs would usually be the last thing to get tired. I can't keep up with anyone once that happen and it would get worse every time i try to run fast. The feeling would lingers for a few hours. 
I'm thinking it could be because of weak core muscles but then why is it only happen to my right side and only around my back and butt/thigh area? I have never feel any fatigue on the left side. I'm working part-time as a waiter and usually stand 5-7 hours/day, sometimes 12 but only for 3 days/week. Could this have an effect on my lower back and cause this?       
Thank you,
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Im new here. Ive been dealing with nerve pain. Seeing an orthopedic not sure if I have pinched nerve or herniated disc so I just had another mri of my back. I was hoping to see him soon but ive got to wait 2 more weeks. I feel so desperate. I cant walk, sit or lie down without pain. I have a 6 year old who im taking care of on my own. Getting so desperate. I look for exercises and try them but end up in pain still. If im not breaking down in tears im filled with anger. I have absolutely nobody to turn to for help.ive read about others dealing with it for years, I dont know how they do it. Ive had this pain for 2 months and seems to just get worse. My knee is now swollen with pain and numb. I have to go up and down stairs dealing with excrutiating pain.
  • Wish I could offer some advice but I'm a Newbie myself. I'm not new to back and leg pain but this is the first time I've had to seek professional help for it.  Always before it goes away after a few days of taking it easy. I'm 65 and retired living in New Mexico. About  20 years ago I had a cervicle diskectomy- the old way with hammer and chisel to remove bone from my hip- not pleasant. About 2 months ago stressed my lower back moving some gravel. The pain radiated down my right leg at first but for the past 2 weeks it found a home in my left leg and hasn't moved out. I couldn't get in to see my PCP for 2 months so I went to urgent care to get some pain relief. They gave me something that did nothing and a sheet with the common exercises to do. I tried to get into the pain and spine clinic but they wouldn't see me without a referral from my PCP (whom I've never even met) and were 3 months out for appointments. Finally they got me in to see another doctor who prescribed tramadol and Valium and scheduled PT. The meds really didn't cut through the pain much. A week ago we headed to Phoenix to see some spring training baseball and am still there. Over the past week the pain has become unbearable to the point where I went to the ER in the middle of the night. They took an X-ray and it showed a compression fracture and bone spurs. They gave me a morphine shot and prescribed hydrocodon and flexeril. I got the impression that the doctor expected it to be worse considering the amount of pain I said I was in. Reading through the forums that attitude seems to be a common thread. The meds I'm on now give me some temporary relief and I reinforce it with Advil pm before I go to bed. I've averaged maybe 3 hours of sleep for the past week. Once the codein wears off there nothing I can do but suffer. Not even taking another pill works. I get up and walk the streets for a while but mostly spend the rest of the night in constant misery. I really do have a high tolerance for pain. I don't even get novacane shots at the dentist. But, this is absolutely the most pain I've ever had to deal with. Mainly because it's constant and completely unrelenting. I can't imagine what some people have gone through who speak of living with it for years. I can't get over the feeling that the medical profession doesn't seem to take it very seriously. They seem to be able to identify the cause but don't seem to be very committed to actually fixing it. I realize they wouldn't immediately perform surgery but the process seems to be taking baby steps. First they give you the exercises to do and if that doesn't work they prescribe meds. If you don't get better they send you to PT and so on until surgery becomes an option. Through this whole drawn out process you're miserable. Maybe that's the way it has to be since everyone's story follows the same script. I can only hope that I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,248
    Hello Andrew 93 !
    Gentle reminder...there are no medical professionals on discussion forums.

Many symptoms over lap into a variety of different causes.
    Responses of shared experiences from members doesn't take the place of physical exam by your doctor.

You may find search helpful re any of your concerns. Also, the main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Bolter,

Please don't think surgery is the end all for spine problems.  I know pain.  I also have had very invasive surgery.  I wish I hadn't now.  Take it slow and resolve all non surgical treatments first.  There are all sorts of possibilities for pain management.  We all have to find our own path to resolve our pain issues.  I hope you find yours.

dmo

• Hello Boltor  I have had surgery on L4/L5 I am a 60yr old.   I had XLIF where they go through the left side.  I am 5 weeks out.  Still dealing with pain.  My journey started first with Acdf C5-C6 herniated disk with myelopathy. Three months later my low back seemed worse so MRI showed disk herniated. So five month in recovery for my neck I am in surgery for low back. But I was dealing with symptoms with both for years.  It was physical therapy to epidurals. Pain medication.  I use ice packs on the areas if that don't help I use moist heat from a rice pack I made and use in microwave.   I try whatever helps to relieve pain.  Sorry if I went into much detail.  Hope you find something that helps.  By the way my older sister lived her lifetime in NM and loved it there.  I too think your state is beautiful.  God Bless.
  • advertisement
  • Finally saw my PCP today. Acting on the recommendation of my PT he told me it looks like I need an MRI. I'm like, DUH! That could have happened a month ago. Can't get the MRI until 4/7. He gave me two injections for pain and started me on Prednisone and Meloxicam. I checked on line about mixing the two and read a lot of Prednisone horror stories so I called the pharmacist . The prednisone causes insomnia which is the last thing I need since I've only averaged about 3 hours sleep for the past 3 weeks. She said to take it first thing in the morning and since the two medications together can cause serious stomach issues she said to take the meloxicam at night. We'll see if this cuts through the pain. My PCP does not believe in narcotic pain relief and is very reluctant to prescribe them.
  • In most cases it could be because of the lifestyle change, but in your case it's a little unclear cause you sound like a pretty active person and you stay healthy and in shape. It could always be a lot of things, like stress, or something you developed over the years. I'd say stick by what your doctor says, but don't be afraid to look for alternative treatments too, especially if you're not a big fan of taking too many meds, or being placed under for like possible surgeries. In my experience with back pain and chronic pain, a lot of it is just management in the end and less of invasive treatments, unless it's a severe condition. Maybe look into your work hours, or try different exercises. Not all physical activity has to be strenuous. I do some exercises for back pain myself, and they target the pain areas well. It's all about relieving pressure and improving circulation. And at home I recently tried treating pain with cold low level laser, and it's working well in managing the pain, preventing it from worsening and helping me avoid reaching for painkillers. Regular use has been good.
  • memerainboltmmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 1,792
    Bolter, I have had to take both of those meds quite often over the years and have found that eating before you take them is easier on your stomach.
    You pretty well understand already how the system works. PT, injections, meds, then talk about it. Maybe you will get lucky and they will relieve your pain or fix it soon. I hope so.
    Please keep us posted.

Lucy 3, You have been through a lot! I had surgery in the same area when I was 60 but not right after neck surgery, I can't imagine. Do you walk a lot? It was recommended to strengthen my back muscles and stand straight again.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • It's been 10 days since the pain shots and in the final days of the Prednisone regimen. Things are looking up as far as the pain and am able to sleep most of the night. Early morning brings some discomfort but I just get up and move around. Left leg is getting weaker and more tingly but I can handle that. Be glad to get the MRI next Friday so I can move on to the next step and figure out how to fix it. Thanks for everyone's kind words and encouragement.
  • memerainboltmmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 1,792
    Bolter
    I'm glad to hear you've gotten some relief. And, you are more than welcome, that's what we all do, support each other.
    Let us know what your doctor finds out Friday.
    Good luck.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement