Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Letting Go

In the world of Spineys, some of us are used to letting go. For others this is your first time. Sometimes it is of our own free will and sometimes it is not. It can consist of the life we once knew, material things, jobs, even sadly, partners, hobbies and sports.
To let go isn't to forget, not to think about or ignore.
It should not leave feelings of anger, jealousy or regret.
Letting go isn't winning and it isn't losing.
It's not about pride, it's not about how you appear and it's not obsessing or dwelling in the past.
Letting go is not giving in or giving up.
It isn't about loss and it's not defeat.
To let go is to cherish memories, overcome and move on.
It's having an open mind and confidence in the future.
Letting go is accepting.
It's about all that you have.
Letting go is having the courage to accept change and the strength to keep moving.
To let go is to open a door.

Sandra
Spine-Health Moderator
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please read my  Medical History
advertisement

Comments

• This is so well written and so true. We must accept what we cannot change and look for the good in the now and the promise of the future. Such is life.
  • Well Said!

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 75
    Such good wisdom, but at the same time accepting and letting go is so hard.  This daily life of pain is so hard to accept that this is my life for the rest of my life till I take my last breath.  Maybe, I have not let go or fully accepted my new future to move on like this.  Mentally and emotionally to appreciate life at times is difficult dealing with being a spiney.  Yet still thanks Sandra and William for your words.
    Akira/Chuck
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,293
    Outside of pain , probably the hardest thing about this life in my opinion.  
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 75
    Aaron, your posts and comments are so articulate and revealing. :>)
    Akira/Chuck
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,744
    Sandra, very nice words.  Acceptance is such a key action in the world of Spineys!
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Akira, thanks, I just have found being an open book with struggles helps so many more to relate and see their same issues than me being closed off.  If you knew me outside this site this open person is my alter ego online, I never reveal anything in person haha
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Thanks for this Sandra.  I missed this when first posted.

It was hard to let go at first, as it went against everything I knew and believed in.   'Work hard', 'be independent', 'take pride in all you do', 'help others before yourself', 'stand on your own two feet' etc etc.  Ms Independent, that was me.

I now view that as my previous life and have learnt to look back with fond memories, at all I achieved for many years through pain and struggles.

I now look to achieve something each day and learn something new.  It doesn't have to large, impressive and take a long time, just a small progression, building this new chapter in my life.

It has taken time but I am very proud of how I have managed to let go but not forget.

It feels like a cloud has lifted this year, even though I am waiting for another operation, that will cause me to go backwards for a bit.

Mind over matter rings very true at the moment and I feel a lot more settled in my own skin for it.

AJ
    L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015

• memerainboltmmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 1,792
    Thanks to everyone for your responses. 

Aaron, I love your opinions. I thought about you when I was reading Marcus Aurelius.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Every thing we see is a perspective, not the truth".
    I would love an "opinion" on that one lol .

Aj
    You, like me, struggled all your life but you fought back and stood strong to make who you are now. I deeply admire your thoughts and kindness, you too are so articulate.

akira
    It will take time, you being a "new spiney". But as Aj said, start a new chapter. Work with what you have and can do.

Ron
    What has helped me more than anything is Spine-Health. The members that are always here trying to help each other as well as others.
    We've never met but I feel a closeness and connection that I've never had before.
    That's why I'm here all the time, talking to my friends and making new ones.
    Where in the world could you get a job like this one!! lol
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
    edited 05/04/2017 - 2:31 PM
    Yea Sandra, in the right context that quote makes alot of sense because all of our experiences can alter our perception and the lenses we see out of now are through filter of pain and suffering.  
    But, and here is the kicker,  is there a difference in how you perceive something that impacts you and the truth?  If I perceive my childhood a certain way, but in actuality it was different than my mother the adult perceived it but the effects on my mind and who I am are related to the perception at that age not the exact truth. Perception can be stronger than truth in that case and sometimes its only in the future that  we realize our perception was not  the entire truth.  ( I learned about that in therapy haha) 
advertisement