Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Meds have stopped working for me 6 days after ALIF

So I had an ALIF last Tuesday (the 14th) and have been taking 2-4mg of hydromorphone as needed ever since. Since the surgery I've barely had any pain and the medicine has seemed to work very well for me. But last evening, through the night, and this morning I've had awful pain and taken the full dose I was prescribed as soon as I'm allowed but it doesn't seem to give me any relief. 
I'm calling the doctor today but they still don't open for a few more hours. I'm almost delirious with pain and I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions or has had this same issue before. 
Is it possible for your body to "get used to" a drug in such a short time? Would it help to ask my doctor for a different narcotic? 
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517
    Anything is possible, since we are all unique individuals.   However, in my mind, I can not imagine any body adjusting to opioids in such a short period of time.   
    You are so fresh out of surgery, I am sure some of this pain is post surgical pain.

You should talk this over with your doctor.  Depending on the surgeon, some provide opioids for only 5 days after surgery, some 2 weeks.
    What did you and your doctor agree to?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Thank you! My doctor said the pain was unusual but since it was nerve related pain it's normal that the opioids didn't touch it. So he prescribed a medication specifically made to treat nerve related pain and I'm feeling much better! 
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,517
    Nerve pain after surgery is pretty common.  And yes opioids really do not address nerve pain.  They help in general, but there are medications directly targeted to nerve pain  (ie  Lyrica or Neurontin)
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
advertisement