Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Your Pain Drug

AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82
Take 1 tablet by mouth three times a day as needed for pain.  This instruction is on our pain medication and I have been told that I need the pain drug in my system before the pain really gets bad.  Do most of you wait to take the pain medication till you start feeling pain?  Do you take it every 5-8 hours to have the medication in your system?  My cocktail prescribed is oxycodone 10/325.  Just wondering how most of you deal with your pain medication?  I hate taking pain meds, but I hate the pain a lot more.
Akira/Chuck
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,571
    edited 03/22/2017 - 12:03 PM
    Most opioid medications come with similar statements.   Take xx tablet by mouth yy time  ... This is considered medications PRN

PRN  Latin Term for As Needed

However, you want to keep yourself ahead of your pain.   So, you do not want to wait until the pain is full bore.   At that time, probably , your pain level has gotten high enough that you will need additional pills.  (assuming, that the prescription is written so that you can take more than are prescribed.)

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
  • I follow the same schedule as 44 does...never easy or fun to play catch up
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82
    Staying ahead of the pain; playing catch up.  Good wisdom, thank you.
    Akira/Chuck
  • For me, I have no choice but to be in pain in between my doses because my medication only lasts about 2-3 hrs and I'm prescribed 1 tablet 4x a day PRN. Extended-release medications don't work for me and I'm at the maximum quantity allowed of 120 tablets a month. But if this weren't my situation, I would take my dose before my pain came back (i.e. if I'm supposed to take it every 4 hours, I wouldn't wait 6 hours for the pain to come back, I would take it at the 4 hour mark).
  • advertisement
  • Yes i am doing the same procedure 1 pill every 8 hours otherwise its difficult to manage pain
  • I like to keep ahead of the pain when I can. I take my 1st when I get to work, sometimes when I roll out of bed, on bad mornings. I get 4 so I space it out best I can. I'm in a MWF cardiac rehab and in the gym the other 2 days. I take one before those sessions. Some evenings I have taken all 4 already, so I have to go with an ice pack from there. Generally I take them at 7 am, noon, close to 4 and around 7 at night.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
advertisement