Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

When will a Dr declare you disabled?

At what point should a dr. Declare you disabled? I had a bad car accident. I have 10 herniated discs, and my knees are destroyed. I have had 250 injections, 9 epidural, spinal fusion, 3 knee surgeries. I haven't been able to work. Every time I try I end up in the hospital with a flair up and needing steroids. I have gone to the ED 5 times. I just can't keep job hunting and feeling like a failure it crushing my self-esteem and the volume of appointments is rediculous. Does anyone have advice to dive me on what I should be doing. Like I just don't think I can work. Is my Dr. Failing me and not addressing my issues? I have lost almost everything. 
advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 947
    fingerscrossed - I ran into the same frustration.  All my doctor would say that I couldn't work, so I ended up being terminated from my job because excessive medical days (I think labor law calls it FMLA). I finally got an SSDI lawyer, since I was in such severe pain and couldn't think clearly.  The max a lawyer can get is 25% of retro earnings with a cap of $6,000 on retro earnings.  The lawyer only get paid if they win the case and the payment is sent directly from SSDI to the lawyer.  I got my SSDI on first filling. 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,587
    This is only my opinion.  But the doctor is NOT going recommend disable for you.  That is something that you need to bring up to your doctor first!
    You may have every possible aliment but still they look at those that are bent over  or worse as becoming a potential for disability.   Having a lawyer with you will reduce those type of questions.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • I'm up to over 300 professional appointments with my injury, including around 22 failed injections and a marginally managed pain level. I feel I should have no real problem since I am 62 and have tests, MRIs to back me up. But will my PM doctor go along with my suggestion to disable me? I'm having trouble keeping up at work and the stress makes things worse. 
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,587
    About 6 years ago,my physiatrist asked me if I wanted to go the route of permanent disability.   She said based on my current medical condition and all my previous problems and where I will likely be heading, that there would be zero problems getting disability.  She said, many people with less problems than I have , have applied and received the disability.

The problem was that I didn't want to go that route.  Sure, I was slowed down because of all my medical problems, there were a lot of things I could no longer do.  I decided NOT to go on disability!

At 60ish, I knew I had more gas in the tank.  Plus I could not see myself on disability, not working, etc.  Sure, it would have been nice to collect that money without having to do anything, but I couldnt.  As long as I could continue to function in some job, then disability was not an option for me.

As long as I could be productive, disability wasnt on my horizons.

I have no problem with people going out with perm disability.  I understand the pain, discomfort and both the physical and emotional impacts chronic pain has on a person.   Perhaps some day for me... But as long as I can continue being productive, I wll still in the work force in one fashion or another.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement