Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

It's always a trade off

itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
edited 03/24/2017 - 12:03 PM in Chronic Pain
I see on here many times things about injections that might hurt , therapy that might hurt, meds that might have side effects and so on.

I don't know if many of the short term sufferers realize what this chronic life is.  It's a world of trade offs and a game of percentages and biting the bullet.  You always want to avoid making condition worse, injuring yourself worse or creating a large flare.  But this life is always a trade off, if you stand any chance of getting better you have to be willing to take risks of a painful injection, a med with a side effect, therapy that might cause some pain , a supplement even has risks etc etc. I am not saying it's easy by any means , but it has to be realized that your life is not often going to be the way you like it in chronic pain.  People with other disorders often know they are killing themselves with meds they take, but living 20 more years is worth that to them.

Most of us longterm here know we have to accept some risks and often have to try some radical things once most doors close. We work them out with doctors, accept or do not accept the risk and we go forward or maintain.  I see some that post here and I feel for them because I really do not think they have any idea what might be in store and choices they have to make.  I didn't understand either early on, but I always had open mind and was willing to sacrifice to get better.
No pain no gain often is not a good saying for us with chronic issues , but a better one is no sacrifice no gain, or no (educated) risks no rewards.  It's an individual choice with many of the risks because you and your doctor understand individual issue best so the risksmay not be right for you , but if it's something that is going to cause worse pain for a short period that is going to be one of the easier choices.  

The bottom line is that once you enter a "chronic" life there are always going to be trade offs to feel better.  It's always that way, for every person , every time.  It sucks, but it's reality. For a lot of us it's the hardest thing and will be the hardest thing we will ever endure.
Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
advertisement

Comments

• AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82
    So true.  Trying to find the balance is on going.  I was scheduled for my second RFA today, but decided not to go with the procedure since my nerve rib pain has subsided this week.  My pain level is about a 2 and have been sleeping okay lately.  Maybe just another epidural shot might work?  Maybe my nerves have settled down?  Yea, don't I wish.  My choice might be different next week, all predicated on my back pain.  So true, on the constant trade off.  Ultimately, the decision has to be made by me.   
    Akira/Chuck
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,582
    Aaron, an outstanding discussion topic!!

So true, people who have been living with chronic pain fully understand the meaning of  trade offs

That can come in so many different ways.
    1. Take the medication even though it is upsetting your stomach
    2. Continue with all the exercises even though they hurt
    3. Rest all day so you can go out at night
    4. Saving your energy for a special time
    5. Trying a new procedure to see the results
    6. Many more
    Over the years, I have tried so many different things that have been recommended by doctors.  In the past year, it was an AFO
    (Ankle Foot brace used for drop foot).   My doctor recommended it to me for my drop foot.  I tried it for two days and it set of a major attack of gout on my toe.

So many times what we try may cause a problem, but there are so many things we try that will help us in the long run.

I think the hardest piece we have to deal with is knowing what we are willing to trade off
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Hell all,

I totally agree with everything posted above.  It seems every year we deal with more and more.  Just this year I have added to my cervical issues with new lumbar problems.  The thing I hate the most is taking enough medication to function with minimal pain or taking too much and being sleepy tired all day long.  I hate having a day off and doing nothing but sleeping because I took my full regiment of meds. 

Sometimes I hold out on taking what I know will make me sleepy but in the end I am irritable because I am hurting.  When I am in pain and cant find a semi-comfortable position I am just miserable and I cant sit still.  Not sure about you folks but I can not sit still when in pain.  I pace around and it really gets on my wife's nerves. lol. 

Is it just me or do I expect more out of modern medicine?  I always though when I got to my age meds would be available to stop pain without leaving us in a vegetative state!!!

dmo

• Jules1JJules1 Oklahoma City, OklahomaPosts: 100
    List is a great description Diluro! I am relatively new to chronic pain but really identify. I have often told friends I am "frugal" with actiiviities.
  • [Deleted User][[Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 03/24/2017 - 3:53 PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
advertisement