Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

When to wean from pain meds?

advertisement

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 860
    rae1112 - You have asked good questions concerning when to wean from pain meds and you have several good replies to your questions.  I'm not making excuses for surgeons, but most act like their work is done once surgery is complete.  You are likely going to get my help from your PCP.   
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    I think nutcase makes a good point.
    Its not unusual for patients still in pain post op..to be referred to pain management doctor
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• [Deleted User][[Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 03/31/2017 - 7:01 PM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    I think they are the ones who should be giving me direction on the use of pain meds. I've never had back surgery before and I have no idea. I actually surprised myself and today was able to go from 7am to 530 pm without any medication. 
    I had been stretching it farther and farther between pills and just only taking it when I am in pain and something happened today that I was able to go without it. 
    I was able to sit on the couch for the first time today too!! It was too uncomfortable until today. 
    Never once did the surgeon mention a pain management dr to me before,  and that's fine if that's what they do but they would have to actually tell me that.

Their issue was apparently that when called Tuesday that was too early to ask for a refill but Thursday was ok. So I should have waited 2 days. I'm not sure how they expected me to know the exact day to call. As I said we live over an hour away so I was just figuring in time for them to mail it. I really didn't realize it was going to be that big of a deal. 
  • advertisement
  • RickallenRRickallen MichiganPosts: 91
    I had lower back surgery back in dec 2 on my l4 5 l5 and s1 . they told me after 3 monthes to wean off pain meds. Not going happen for me I tryed my best to wean off and cut down to just 2 a day rather the 4 a day. there is no way I get in so much pain Im not sure If im going to make it back to work . standing on my feet gets to me after a while. Then I can only sit for so long also. I try my best to get around . Some of the love ones around me don't understand and they cant feel the pain .So when ask to do something that needs done and I cant do it because I cant bend or lift I just get so mad. Trying to keep my cool about things is getting so rough..... wish you luck
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    edited 04/03/2017 - 8:13 PM
    Thank you i totally understand. My husband was great about helping me with everything but today he's back to work. It's so frustrating not being able to do so many things.

My kids have been helpful but they seem over it already and I try to tell them it's just how it is i physically can't do so many things. I feel like it's hard for people to understand just how hard this is to go through. Drs don't fully understand either because they've never actually been through it. I'm glad I have everyone here to relate to. Good luck to you as well.
advertisement