Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Left sided muscle weakness/fatigue after Neck Hyperextension injury

Jason546JJason546 Posts: 1
edited 03/28/2017 - 2:04 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical

(22 yo, male)

In October 2014 I sprained/injured my neck after hyper-extending it. I somehow managed to do this after I flung/jumped backwards onto my pillow from a sitting position at the end of my bed, and must have overstretched my neck in the process.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Immediately after this, I experienced a rush of pins and needles that began from the left side of my neck, all down my left arm and leg. My entire left side felt noticeably 'weaker' and 'unsteady' after this happened and these symptoms lasted for a month before clearing up and I felt normal again.

Fast forward to May 2015; I had just replaced one of my bed pillows and the next morning after sleeping with this pillow for the first time, the whole of my left side was suddenly back to the weak and aching sensation I'd had 7 months previously.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

I went to my doctor; he carried out a neurological physical examination of all my reflexes etc and this was fine. He suggested just to take it easy and see if it resolved itself. So I followed his advice and after a month it went away.                                             

Although significantly, what I found different now, was that any kind of strenuous exercise I did like running, I would have to stop after only a couple of minutes as my left leg would become so tight and painful I couldn't carry on (almost like cramp). 

September 2015 it all returned yet again; I was just sat down normally and suddenly became aware of this intense 'shooting' pain in the bottom of my left foot. Now even simple things such as walking are now accompanied with mild discomfort.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

I went back to my doctor who was slightly puzzled what would be causing my symptoms, so he referred me to a neurologist who then sent me for an MRI scan of spine, neck and brain which the results all came back normal and nothing significant to explain the situation.

To this day, this chronic muscle weakness/fatigue/aching of my left arm, leg and side of my neck continues to affect me.                                                                                                                                

Most exercise is difficult; I can barely run a couple of yards without my left leg becoming heavy and tired.                                                                                                                                                         

I have also noticed that any intricate tasks involving use of my left hand/fingers, such as using screwdrivers etc causes my left wrist to ache to the point where my left hand has basically 'seized' up on occasion and was literally paralyzed for a few seconds before I could move my hand again.        

I wouldn't describe my condition as painful, but it is extremely uncomfortable. It tends to vary in severity, and sometimes I may not experience symptoms for a few days or a week but it always returns.   

After going through gp's, neurologists, an mri scan and still none-the-wiser as to what is causing my discomfort I don't know what else to do. Trapped nerve, disc compression, ligament/muscle damage?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.                                                                                                                                                                               

advertisement

Comments