Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Effect of warmth on chronic neck pain

I do suffer from chronic arms/wrist and neck pain due to damage to central cord (central cord syndrome) and accompanied by multilevel cervical stenosis.The intensifies when I am stressed out,anxious and fatigued,which I am most of the time as I sleep poorly since  I also have insomnia. My neuro 1st recommended surgery (4 level cervical laminectomy with fusion) but later told me that the surgery will not improve  existing symptoms as they are due to damage to the cord itself ,and the cord cannot be repaired or regenerated.
I have been trying medication, yoga, physio but those measures don't bring much relief. Only some application of ice packs to my arms bring some temporary relief. I did also notice that my neck hurts less and is less stiff during the warm weather and gets worse during cold and damp weather conditions. Does anybody here has ever had the same or similar experience or some knowledge on the effects of warmth on chronic neck pain?
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,258
    dari, while we are waiting for responses from other member's with shared experiences, it may be useful to you by using the search engine at the top right of this page.
    i have read a few things that might be helpful: tens unit, topic a  cream such as capsaicin.
    ice pack and heat, alternate 15-20 mins, repeat 3 times.
    ice massage, rolling an ice pack over the area.
    using tylenol and aleve, stagger every 4 hrs.
    it is very difficult for anyone to respond when we do not have enough  information to go on.please click on the link below to get started.
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/66152/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-spine-health-how-get-started#latest
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 297
    Before my acdf, I lost count of the number heating pads I wore out. I thought it was the only thing that eased my pains. Surgeon said no more bc that only makes things swell/get further inflamed. Since then I only ice. The weather. .most anyone will agree that the cold weather makes things ache more as do storm coming in. Conversely, the warm weather doesn't make mine better either.
  • advertisement
  • I like the hot shower in the morning, it helps me get going. Cold is better overall, but the heat 1st thing is good.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 389
    I've noticed that cold weather tends to make me feel worse.
    Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

• I am using a 5% lidocaine cream off and on.  I use a lot of scarves to keep the draft off my neck they are so fashionable now
    morning warm shower gets me going,  I am waiting more surgery and was put on Gapapentin to help with the nerve pain down my arms not narcotic  Physical therapist told me: sharp pain cold pack, dull pain, warm packs 

• advertisement
  • Hot shower twice a day help me with pains 
  • Here is what is really strange to me.  I like Ice bag on my neck, hands down nothing works better taking the pain away.  Ice bag on top of my head for cervical headaches. For my lumbar spine I love heating pad.  Why the difference?  For me its the fact heating pads make me sick feeling almost overheated for my face.  Cant get near my face with heat. 

I have even sat on the sofa on a bad day with ice bag on my neck and heating pad on my lower back.  A sad site to see I know. lol.

dmo

• Don't feel bad. I have used ice and heat at the same time.  I have also told folks most people fill the fridge with food or cold beer. We fill it with cold packs.  No joke at one time a whole shelf was given over to the cold gel packs.
advertisement