Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 weeks postop!

March 3rd I went into the hospital because i had a new onset right foot drop and couldn't move my leg without assist. I have had 3 L5-S1 right sided hemilamis. So my surgeon and I decided on a PLIF at that level. My surgery was the 9th because he had office Monday and Tuesday and was booked Wednesday. Immediate postop was horrible. My pain was not managed at all for 3 hours. They put me on a morphine PCA. I told them I did not want morphine because it does nothing for me. They finally got pain management involved and I was good to go after three hours of crying and agony. Mind you i also had a dural tear so I was laying flat for 24 hours. He was unable to put a drain in due to this. Things progressed and I was able to move my right leg and I was walking. Then on post op 3 I had no sensation to urinate. No feeling in "that area." I'm a neurosurgical nurse myself so i knew it wasn't good. They put a catheter in and 1250cc of urine came out. THAT'S A LOT. I had no sensation of the urine in my bladder. They did and MRI the following day (they wanted it done that day but didn't order it stat). The PA came in with that look on her face. The MRI showed a massive hematoma pressing on the cauda equina. So I had cauda equina syndrome. Yay. They did surgery again the next day to drain it and put in a drain. Holy cow. Being opened twice in the same spot in matter of days was painful. I'm at home now after a 12 day stay in the hospital. I felt pretty good the first two weeks but now it's bad. I was on dilaudid but that wasn't working well. The Half-Life is quite short. Then Percocet, and now fentanyl 12mcg patches to help. That i just started yesterday. So we will see. I don't know if maybe I'm doing too much or what. I'm 30 years old. I have a 3 year old. And a 6 year old who is on a dance comp team so mon, wed, fri and Saturday she has class for hours. I have help from my husband who is also a nurse but he is working overtime to supplement my not working. I am getting disability but it's only 60%. I just needed to let this out in a forum where people can relate. Every time I feel a little burn down my leg i get worried or that numbness in my foot. It's on both sides now which I know is a possibility afterwards as like I said before I am a neurosurgical nurse of 8 years. Any tips from people in similar situations as me?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

I surly know how you feel.  I had surgery five months ago.  When I woke up I was in my hospital room.  I don't even remember post op recovery.  When I did wake up I had to urinate bad.  I could not go no matter how hard I tried.  I ended up getting cathed.  Then again eight hours later.  Then again for the third time.  It was horrible.  Getting straight cathed four times in one day is just to much.  I finally went home with a foley cath.  I had to leave that in for a week and make appointment with urology before I could take it out.  What a nightmare.  I will never have surgery again unless drs can figure out why this happened.  I was given the usual diagnosis of neurogenic bladder caused by who knows what. 

dmo

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587
    I hate to say this, but you probably already know the answer, you had surgery 4 weeks ago and look at what you are doing.
    And you also know about nerves waking up.
    I know it's hard with 2 children but you need to give yourself time to heal. Think about all the bending, twisting and picking up that you are possibly doing and should not be.
    Please take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Yes. I constantly find myself attempting to bend down when I know I need to squat. Thankfully the other dance mom's help out with clothing and shoe changing. The transportation part kills me sometimes. I feel so bad if she doesn't go to dance though! Cuz in a sense she is letting the team down because she isn't there. I need to chill out but it's hard when it's only me. And yes the nerves are probably waking up now. I have horrible pain in my butt on both sides this time (was only the right preop). Then my husband gets all nervous and says that he can't take it if I'm in the same pain that I was before because I was doing so well a few weeks ago. He's a nurse also but works in drug detox so I don't know how much of Neuro he remembers. Plus my doctor told him about the regeneration so he should know as well. Just a lot of stress on my plate right now so that doesn't help. 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587
    Jpenguin

The stress factor is probably not helping right now. What is it with guys and women in pain? They can't stand it. They want us normal, that is what they are used to.
    I know it's hard with 2 little ones not to bend, but please don't. Every time you do you are putting stress on your spine.

Take care and if you need to talk I'm here.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement