Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

C1 C2 Fusion

Had C1 C2 Fusion surgery about 2 weeks ago for an accident I had about a month ago. It's uncomfortable but not unbearable. It seems like everything I read is DOOM AND GLOOM. Im 42 and have lived a pretty active life. I was involved in a car accident which left me with a type 3 fracture to my odontoid which did not heal on its own. I've lost some mobility side to side but my "up/down" mobility seems fine. Its not as if I were able to turn my head 360 degrees prior to the accident anyway. 

Just know that there are some positive stories out there too. I've never had surgery before, hell of an introduction. The was I see it, I couldve easily died and this surgery offered me a new lease on life....see another birthday....etc. 

I wake up each morning and take a 2 mile walk to "warm up" before I get the day started. I'll never be an X-Games contestant but I'm thankful. I havent had any excrutiating pain, just general discomfort which, at times is going to require a pain med dosage...not a huge deal. 

I just wish some of these posts involved "how to deal with the life change" than how "miserable" the change is. Who knows, things may change for me later, but what doesnt. I have friends whove never had surgery and complain about having to deal with horrible migraines all their lives. All I'm saying is that perspective is important here, there will be good days and bad days for us all. Lets hear some good. 

The stress of my Odointoid fracture lingering was unbearable......It caused more anxiety than I knew I could live with. The C1 C2 fusion procedure offered me a chance to "know that it was fixed" so I could deal with the bad days and the good days as they come. Thus far, I've had considerably more good days than bad. 
advertisement

Comments

• What a great attitude you have, louhhunter! I know there are many more success stories than failures after spinal surgery. Even with the lingering issues I have, I thank God every day I was able to have the surgery as there was no other choice. I'm not paralyzed and I'm alive, which is so much better than what could have been. I worry about having to have a C1-C2 fusion some day and it's refreshing to hear about your positive outcome. I try not to ponder what may come in the future and just be happy with where I am today, thanks to God and modern medicine.
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,372
    louhhunter

what a great story and so positive!! sometimes you hear people complain and say why me. but i always look at it as everything happens for a reason. and perspective and attitude are everything. 

i'm really sorry this happened to you. but, your attitude will help others on this forum. and i thank you for that.

i would like to welcome you spine health and hope we hear from you again.
    please click on the welcome link below for more useful information.

welcome to spine-health
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • glad to hear you have the good attitude, seems that is a large portion of the recovery process. i had a occiput? to c7 fusion so have no ROM but now can watch my grand kids grow up.  yep sometimes get the gosh i cant do something blues then find the humor in the creative way i had to deal with the problem. I cant look down so if i spill on my shirt i take a selfi to check out the damage.  Surgery was very successful and would do it all again, the residual things, ie muscle spasms etc are minor and easy to deal with. My journey has been good and if your interested check out piperbill posts here,  i find patience, attitude and a good bit of humor to be my keys to the good life that god has granted me.  Im 70 years old, play the bagpipe, work full time as a powerplant mechanic and help with a search and rescue team. had to change the way i do business but still lots to do. best to you and smile whenever you can, take care, stay safe  piperbill
  • Piperbill, you are my friggin HERO! I work at a refinery as an operator and also a part of the Fire/Rescue team. I seriously thought I had lost all that. Thanks for your post. A sense of humor are the keys to a happy life!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527
    There are so many success stories, thousands of them, but here, you will read mostly about the negative side of spinal surgery.   But that is sort of the nature of Spine-Health.  People register and join because they are having some spinal problem and want to learn more.

Those that have surgery and have problems afterwards are the posts that you will see so often.  Those that has success with their surgery and/or other treatments tend to fade away from Spine-Health, so you dont hear their stories.

But there is no question that there are certain ingredients in dealing with spinal problems before or after surgery.
    • Maintaining a positive attitude
    • Adhering to all the rules, regulations, limitations that  were outlined by your doctor
    • Keeping a lighter side of the problem.   As posters above have said, Humor - Laughter and Humor are important tools
    • Always being compliment with your doctors recommendations (ie Physical Therapy, Exercises, etc)
    • Having a good support system
    I've been through 7 spinal surgeries, 4 joint surgeries and a reconstructive Achilles tendon.  This started in 1978 and is still going on.
    I have maintained a positive outlook on everything, look for the good in my situation, being thankful that I can still do many of the things I did before.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745
    Lou, after my many spinal surgeries, I learn to appreciate the moments when I don't hurt. I've been dealing with spine issues for almost 50 years. While I know the good moments are temporary, sometimes they feel like they are permanent and I feel like I am back to normal again. I think, to myself, that I'll say goodbye to all my meds and spinal procedures and be normal like everyone else. Sorry to ramble. Just saying that I appreciate the good moments. I hope you can too. 
  • I thank both of you for your wisdom. I'm still recovering and not in any notable pain as of yet. Stitches are out and I feel pretty comfortable..READY TO START PHYSICAL THERAPY. My doctor has said that I can take my brace off when I goto bed....which I really dont understand considering I'm more likely to move my neck when I'm asleep in an attempt to get comfortable than I would be sitting on my couch. I've heard that some Doctors dont require a brace for patients post surgery. I'll admit that I stretch my neck muscles periodically because they started to get hard as glass.

Still have a positive outlook but I'm realistic......frustrated at times....but realistic about my diminished mobility. Hopefully, It'll get better.

Thanks!
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,372
    louhhunter

Please don' get frustrated. This will take time, PT and you taking care of yourself. Stay positive.
    Also, remember when you have surgery, they also have to move muscles and nerves and they need to heal too. 
    With your attitude I think you will have a good outcome.
    Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • I think all of us have days of mixed emotions. Happiness at the surgery being successful, sadness at things weve either lost or not as dextrous as we once were. The  pain, frustration, added with lots of humor gets us through those times. Just try not to be hard on yourself, look at how far youve come, dont look back(although after anterior/postior cspine reconstruction wc6 corpectomy, strut and other carparts..its hard to look back anyway..haha!) Im facing an Occipital Cervical Fusion in a few weeks and many can attest, im terrifed,yet also ready for it to be over, because I have a joh and school to graduate from.. i wish you much luck, love and light as you move towards recovery
    Aimee
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.