Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Traveling by car 4 weeks post left hemilaminectomy/Microdiscectomy and other stuff!

Hi All! I'm 24. I'm getting my first surgery, a left hemilaminectomy/microdiscectomy on May 12th after my exams finish. I have a wedding to attend a good 6+ hour drive away the second week of June. I know I will need to be careful for how long I sit in the car. Is  this even feasible? I can always lay down in the backseat if possible and we plan to stop frequently and walk around.

If anyone has had similar surgeries, can you speak to what your activity level was like? My goal is to be back to work 2 weeks post op. I have a  summer desk job at a law firm and I am looking into standing desk options so I am not sitting down all day. I definitely want to get back to my regular life, but do not want to push it, especially since I have about a 30% chance of reherniation. My health comes first since I have to live with this back for the rest of my life, but I also want to somewhat enjoy my summer and still keep my prior engagements (weddings, work etc)

Any tips on how to travel or what I can do would be great! 
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,161
    Hi alyssadanielle2493

Can you tell us how many levels of your spine will you have surgery on (ie L2-L3)?
    From what you are saying, you will have about 3 1/2 weks recovery before the trip. Have you discussed this as well as going back to work in 2 weeks with your surgeon?

My biggest problem was siting and standing after a while. I would suggest a comfy blanket on the back seat and 2 pillows. One for your head and one for under your knees,it will help. And geting out and walking. Walking is the best exercise for your back.

Please keep us posted and take care.

Please click on the Welcome link below for more useful information

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial  

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi Sandra!

The going back to work is something he mentioned I could do, but I will of course make sure I am feeling up to it. I don't want to push myself to the point of reherniation but also don't want to limit myself either for too long. I definitely plan to walk as much as I am able without overdoing it.

The surgery is at L4/L5. I haven't been dealing with the sciatica for years. Just severely since March of this year and on and off since February. 
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,161
    Hi alyssadanielle2493

I had surgery in the same area, L2-L6. I took my recovery very serious and did everything I was told to do and not do. After a couple of weeks I wasn't even in pain anymore. But just remember, don't bend or twist. 

Please sign up on the May Surgery Buddies. All you do is go to that discussion, tell about your upcoming surgery and you will have other members giving you advice and support. Hope to see you there!

Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thanks so much! And I am in there :) so far I am the only one, but I am sure there will be more! I feel like this Forum is incredibly helpful!

I am writing down a list of questions to ask my surgeon as well! I know I have studying for finals as well, but this is all important too! 
advertisement