Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

I'm new, Hello! Fibromyalgia, Fibro Fog, Back L-3 - S-1 with 2mm buldge on L-5

It's nice to have a community to share with and be able to talk with. My back problems started in 1996. I had a great chiropractor and still do. Unfortunately the job I was working at closed their doors in 2013 and 3500 people were displaced. I live in a small town and there weren't any jobs. I did find a job, but the drive was an hour 1/2 away. My back pain increased significantly and I was referred to my pain mangement Dr. They did an MRI and found that I have nothing between my L-4 - L-5 with a 2 mm buldge. I began getting injections and put on different pain pills but it was not helping. Driving home would become so unbearable that I would just scream and cry and load up on oxycodone. I do not like having to take these meds unless necessary and realized having to take the medication I was putting myself at risk and the risk of others. Long story short, nothing was helping, and was on SDI. I noticed in 2015 that my hands were were swelling up and I saw 5 Dr.'s and got 5 different diagnosis. Last Dr. I saw said I was on the best pain meds and there was nothing more that they could do. Next morning I woke looking like an Oompa Loompa. My roommate called 911 and was taken to the hospital. The ER Dr. asked if anyone had bothered to take my blood? I said no. So blood work was done and I had to go back to my primary Dr. She added a few more blood tests and referred me to a RA DR. who asked if I had had any of these symptoms that was on a phamplet. I said yeah, I have every single one of them to which he replied you have Fibromyalgia. I said okay but what about the swelling in my hands? He said you have to go see an Orthopedic Dr. and that i would have to see my Psychiatrist for the medication for the fibromyalgia. Here's where the real nightmare began. My Psychiatrist put me on a nerve pain pill called Effexor, which I call the Devils drug and the orthopedic Dr. was convinced I had carpel tunnel syndrome and was placed on a low dose nerve pain pill, even after I had a nerve conduction test showing I didn't have carpel tunnel syndrome. I was still taking oxycodone when needed, Methacarbanol (muscle relaxer for back spasms), Effexor (which is also a nerve pain pill) and Relafan for my anti-inflammatory. I also take psychiatric meds at night to sleep. Well the swelling was getting worse and once again had to be taken by ambulance to the ER. Worst part was the way they had me sitting on the gurney it totally whacked out my back. I asked for something for the pain and they gave me a shot of prednisone for the swelling and then finally something for my back. The minute the medicine for my back entered into my blood stream I began to have body tremors and spasms and they left me like that for an hour. Thankfully my son was with, but completely horrified and finally yelled at the nurses to do something for me and they finally ga e me a shot of atavan I believe and the body tremors and spasms stopped. I was released to go home. From that point on, I started having body spasms and body tremors to the point that I had to have my son hold me down. 3 more trips to the hospital with no help, other than to to say they weren't sure what was going on and sent me home. The last trip was to the hospital my ex-husband and ex-brother in law came over and had to drag me out of the house to get me to the the hospital. It was like trying to hold a large fish that was flipping back and forth as if to try to escape and get back into the water. Again no help and sent home. My daughter came up to take me to see my pain management Dr. and she told me to go off all the meds that the Dr.'s had given me. My life for ever changed in that time. I had to wear a neck brace for 6 weeks as the spasms/tremors were so bad I got whiplash. Was seen by a neurologist, wasn't neurological and many other Dr.'s who could not figure out why this happened. My family came to the conclusion that no one was paying attention to how many drugs I was on. I will be 55 this year, have to use a walker, can't work and fighting for my SSI/SDI. I get injections in my back every 6-8 months, and deal with my fibromyalgia and fibro fog on a day to day basis. I only take my night time prescriptions and my Relafan and on very rare ocassions my oxycodone. I did win my LTD claim so that is good, I now have income which I didn't before. 

I am hoping someone on here has gone through the same thing as my kids and friends are just beside themselves as I went from a very active person to very little activity at all.

On April 14th I had another Oblation (7th one) and have this burning feeling on my butt and on my thighs. I read that some other people experienced the same thing and used lidocaine. I have been using lidocaine 5% ointment to help, but it is only temporary. My Dr. thinks I just need to rest more but after reading on here that other people have/are experiencing the same thing, I will definately be putting in another call on Monday.
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,470
    Hello Renee62

Welcome to Spine-Health.

I am so sorry you have had to go through this. I have partially gone through what you have just a different story. It took 17 doctors before I was diagnosed with fibro. And then just said you have fibro, deal with it and walked out the door.
    Fast forward 25 years, surgeries, more doctors, more test, more drugs, before a doctor back in Dec. said it was tumor on my spine over 20 yrs. ago that started my spinal journey. For more on that read My Medical History.

But the one thing I do not understand is why did your RA doctor, the one that diagnosed you with fibro, prescribe you something that is recommended for fibro such as Savella or Lyrica?

This is what's makes it hard when you have fibro. What causes what? And which came first? Is this nerve pain from your disc or the fibro? All of my doctors have said I am very hard to diagnosis and treat.

Fibro fog!! That should go in the medical books. But when you're in constant pain you go into that dark zone where you can't think straight or remember anything. I call them foggy dark days.

As for depression, that goes hand in hand with fibro and chronic pain. So when you've got both it's very hard to deal with. I see a psychologist once a month and always will. I don't fight the anxiety, guilt and depression like I used to but it still shows it's ugly head.
    One thing I do is read a lot on mindful thinking. And I love to research for other people on the forum. It keeps my mind busy.

There are many others like us and I'm sure they will replying also.

Keep posting, we are here if you need.

Please click on the Welcome link below for more useful information, Also click on the Spine-Health Tutorial to learn how to navigate the Spine-Health system.

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you Memerainbolt. Yes that was one of the million dollar questions as to why my RA Dr. didn't prescribe me something and had to go through my Psychiatrist. I did just recently see my RA Dr. cause the fibromyalgia was attacking my wrists and had me go of the Relafan and use Diclofenac ointment which worked wonders. But the pain/sunburn feeling, the ointment does not work and my Dr. advised me to go back on Relafan. I will be contacting her again today as I am not getting any relief and it's very hard to sleep at night.

• advertisement
    Renee62

Relafan works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation. 
    What I call my "fibro flare ups", most of the time, is because of inflammation. I call my doctor and order a Z pack, for inflammation.
    After searching over 20 yrs., trying every meds out there that was supposed to treat fibro, I found the best one to be Savella, honestly, I've tried them all.
    Let me know what your doctor says.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Okay thank you!
  • And I am so sorry for everything you have gone through as well! It's terrible to live with pain and I don't like taking my pain meds unless I absolutely have to. And right now, I'm having to take them all. My Dr. said that it is impossible to know what is triggering the pain and to go back on the gabopetan and take 3 of them 3 times a day. I again explained, it makes feel like a zombie, even just taking 1 a day. I have sent her a message to inquire about the Savella, cause I just can't handle taking the pain meds. It causes severe constipation for me and I take Seena to help, but doesn't always work on a day to day basis.
  • advertisement
    Renee62

What dose of gabapentin does she have you on? It might be too strong. I take the same thing but I have a lot of severe nerve damage. I never get sleepy or groggy but everyone's system is different.

Let me know what she says, please.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
advertisement