Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Current Foot Drop

Hi. I have had foot drop for 8 years. They aren't sure as to why. I do have some mobility of the foot....meaning I have dorsal and plantar flexion. My toes drop some. My inner calf muscle has atrophied due to the nerve in my calf not working right. I saw a neuro surgeon who said my Lumbar MRI shows a small compression on my nerve that might be causing my foot drop. He said he could go in there and shave the area causing the slight compression and see if this helps the foot drop. He said he also could take stem cells from my abdomen and inject them into the same area as they are seeing a lot of benefit from doing this. At the same time he said because I've had foot drop for 8 years he can't promise anything. He said 10-20% it might help. I said so you want me to have a micro discectomy back surgery for 10-20%. He said I'm just saying that, It could be a much higher %, but he doesn't know . I'm really not sure what to do. Could it potentially give me back my right foot without any drop, restore my calf function? I am not in any pain at all. I walk with a Helio leg brace to lift up my foot drop. I just read so much about all the things that can go wrong when you have back surgery that I'm kinda scared to even consider. Has anyone had foot drop for awhile and had this kind of surgery with success. Thanks for any replies.
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,419
    Hello sejmom

Welcome to Spine-Health

I am so sorry you are going through this. I just read up on foot drop and even though it is nerves and muscles, one of the underlying problems could be from the lower back.

The decision to have or not have surgery in your case seems to be a tough one. Besides, not any doctor is going to guarantee any outcome. On a good note, you are not in any pain. It's a tough call.

While we wait for other members to reply, please click on the Welcome link below as well as the System Tutorial. This will give you more useful information as well as how to navigate the Spine-Health system.

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 

Please keep us posted on what you decide. Take care.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,627
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

The best thing you can do is list all the Pros and Cons in getting or not getting the surgery.   Your doctor has seemed to already started this for you.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement