Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Overwhelmed Newbie

hi guys,  
My name is Larry. Im 64, live in Phoenix Arizona and just seeing this forum for the first time. Like many others, my pain is L5 herniation radiating numbness and pain to my hands and feet. 
I had ZERO lower back pain until 2 years ago when I was being routinely adjusted by a chiropractic. I felt it instantly. He said it was nothing and I'd be good in a couple days. It's been over 2 years and the pain has gotten much worse. 
Ive gone down the same rabbit holes many of you have. The difference with me is;  I'm keeping the pain to MYSELF!!   Cept for the Doctors.  I currently am taking 5-6 Vicodin a day. This gives me a only a few hours of pain relief each day. The politics here is very anti pain med now and, my doctor is caving to the pressure.  Pretty sure I'm close to the end of him prescribing. He makes me come now every month for a 5 minute visit (just to get a look). He is my primary care guy. My Ortho and Physiatrist won't give me any pain meds. CRAZY!!
The pain has brought along some friends-- depression and anxiety, nice. I'm not a very fun person anymore either.  All my family and friends have been alienated at this point.  I'm ok here- whining to you but, in my real life, I'm keeping my dark thoughts to myself. 
I've had a good life but, this situation has got me debating over a very uncertain future. The moment I wake up, I'm kinda sad that I've got to face another day. 
Ok, hope I didn't break any rules. Wish everyone well. Hoping to become part of this community. 

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,627
    elex, its never easy. Please read the following New member checklist , then provide us with some details.

Thanks
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,419
    Hello elex

Welcome to Spine Health

And welcome to your new community. You are now officially a "Spiney".
    Even though you are here because of sad circumstances that was no fault of your own, we all understand and we've all gone through the same thing. You can whine all you want, we all do.
    But more importantly you in turn will be able to help others that have the same story. That's how we work.
    Feel free to join other discussions. Look through the discussions and look at some of the dark thoughts we've had.

Have you seen a pain management doctor? Most primary doctors are sending their pain patients to PM doctors now. That's where I go and can't say anything but good.

While we are waiting on others to reply, please click on the Welcome link below as well as the System Tutorial for more useful information as well as how to navigate the Spine-Health system.

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 

Hope to hear back from you.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Larry, have you heard about the work of Dr. John Sarno? Highly recommend. His approach in the 1970s and 80s was revolutionary. It may be hard to accept at first, but it is highly successful. Search Youtube "sarno 20/20" and watch the segment. Will be happy to discuss further. 
    Hi elex

There is a very good discussion going on you might want to read. Go to the right of the page to Latest Discussions, go to the left and click on Letting Go.
    A lot of insight into what we Spiney's go through.

Have a good day.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Hi elex

Welcome to this brilliant forum.  It supplies everything... information, an opportunity to off load, a chance to share for the good of others, new friends who really know what you are going through and last but not least, to know you are not the only one suffering which really can help in a strange way.  I don't want others to suffer, but it does feel good to know there are other fellow back challenged individuals out there.

Olderthandirt -  So good to hear you are getting some help, support and your husbands way of trying his best in the garden.  I am a fellow gardener and lover of all things nature, so I know your struggles with not being able to!   I have had to trim back my output to almost zero to stop the flare ups.  I enjoy my garden through my eyes now and consider it a sanctuary for my birds.  A feeding station is a positive things isn't it, so looking at the garden in that way now.  I have my herbs now but not much else and saw some shoppers the other day cuddling their tomatoes plants after they had paid for them.  I just tried to be happy for them but it was a difficult moment.  Enjoy the parts you can get help with and enjoy the wild flowers :-)

AJ
    AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
    olderthandirt

I really hope this forum has helped you with the dark thoughts. 
    It's called the "dark zone" and it's where our minds go when we are in severe pain for an extended period, hence, chronic pain.
    My therapist is a psychologist, he does cognitive therapy, which is mindful thinking. They do not give meds or shots of any kind. Just a way of changing the way you deal with pain.
    My problem was anxiety and depression. And now I'm so much better with those issues.
    And, I learned to turn loose and let my husband take care of me. And that's a problem most of us have, turning the reins over to someone else.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
advertisement