Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Recovery after Discectomy

Comments

• Gp18t2GGp18t2 Posts: 1
    edited 08/15/2012 - 1:59 AM
    I had a microdiscectomy on L5/S1 on july 30 2012, after 8 months of compression. Prior to surgery i was basically laying all the time, which was pain free. If I stood up I had extreme tightness behind my knee, and i would start to get pain deep in my glutes, my outside foot is numb and i have no calf strength. After surgery the glute pain and knee tightness was gone, the incision site was sore but nothing major. After about 5 days some tightness came back behind my knee but not as bad as it was. I have had various sensation changes in my leg, tingling feelings, pressure like feeling, etc. i am walking 5-6 times a day, usally 1km per walk. The knee tighness s going away now, the incision is closed and the staples are out. Ill post more in a few days.
  • I had my surgery and, similar to what you described felt no leg pain for about 4 days... Then It slowly started back. I'm now 2 weeks post op and the sciatic pain gets worse each day... How are you doing now? I'm hoping this is normal and that I will still make a full recovery- how about it? Anyone else that felt progressively worse and then got better? I'm in need of a little hope here...
  • advertisement
  • Six weeks post-op and doing well! Pain in hip and leg was gone upon waking from the surgery. Numbness in calf/foot almost gone. I am having some slight nerve discomfort in my hip from time to time and it feels like nerve pain. This seems to be worse when I am inactive for long periods. I am only walking and bending. No heavy lifting. Just basic stuff around the house like kitchen trash and laundry. Was off narcotic pain meds 2 weeks after surgery but still take twice daily 500mg naproxen. Muscles seem weak but am told by my doc that is normal. Need to work on flexability. I am VERY pleased with my results.
  • Hello All,

I have been reading posts here in this thread, as I may be headed for surgery, and I'm hoping to find success stories. Some of the posts in this thread are older, but I also know people sometimes are still around but not posting.

Is anyone here a little older? I'm 59, and wondering if that in itself makes a difference in the outcomes. I am currently dealing with L5/S1 herniation, numbness in thigh, behind knew, outside of calf, and heel/foot, and 2 toes, along with sometimes excrutiating pain. Have had this issue for a number of years, but was pain free for the last 5 after injections.

I reinjured in Dec. 22011. I had 3 injections this year already and was about 95% , but then a few weeks ago reinjured again; simple movements can trigger. Now on medical leave and will have another injection next week. If it doesnn't give great relief, I will see a surgeon.

I'm wondering if everyone here has finally healed and how you feel now? ScooterPie65, you are newest poster; how are you doing now? Did you have microdiscectomy? I hope you continue to do well.
  • Davey16DDavey16 Posts: 31
    edited 09/27/2012 - 11:51 AM
    Had decompression L4L5, and fusion L4L5S1, Surgery was booked for 6 hrs, was on the table 7.5 hrs bit more damage than the surgeon thought, Had pain lower back radiating through buttocks/hips than into right thigh and shin, Post op the pain is more of a tingling in buttocks with no hip pain, the nerve pain in shins has gone but I feel a very intense burning in outer right thigh from groin to knee,(when walking) this feel like an electric shock, to stop this I have to take weight off right leg then the pain goes, hope this subsides when the swelling settles down, also my 6.5 inch incision got infected, My family Dr taking out the stitches said I had left them too long as skin had enveloped them, he had to dig to get them out (think this what infected the incision), Any how down to taking just T3;s on a night time and getting stronger every day, Would I have it done again, you bet I would, would not think twice I am a 58 year old male,

Dave Y
  • advertisement
  • Carligh I'm doing very well. My surgery was 8/13 and I had discectomy at L4/L5 and L5/S1 after many months of misery. Hip and leg pain was gone when I woke up in recovery and the numbness and tingling was gone within a few weeks. I was back at work 3 weeks after surgery on limited duty as I do have to do some moderate lifting up to 50-70 lbs. I still haven't done any heavy lifting and don't plan to soon. I am going to start some yoga classes for flexibility. It's amazing how weak my back and abdomen muscles have become. I do get a slight sensation of nerve pain in my hip/buttock if I over do it and become tired but a 500mg naproxen takes care of that. The only problem I had with the surgery was an infection in the incision but a round of antibiotics took care of that. I did require a lot of assistance after surgery but that's to be expected. My only regret is that I waiting so long to do it!
  • I am now 3 months post op and while the nerve pain is still there- it is significantly better than before surgery. I'm currently waiting for another MRI to see what the problem is, but considering that I could not walk before the surgery this is an improvement.
    I had hoped to be back at work by now, but I am still unable to tolerate much bending or lifting... Can only sit for about 15 minutes at a time (office chairs seem to be the worst). I have been able to do some work from home in short bursts. Am FINALLY able to drive again- Hallelujah! Although it was the dizziness caused by Gabapentin that mostly held me back there. Can still only drive short trips, but it's freedom! I am not pushing too hard until I find out the MRI results and IF I need another surgery. Its slow going and I cannot believe how much my endurance has suffered!
    All in all, it's not the outcome that I had hoped for- but I would still do it all again.
  • Seems like a long time ago I had my discectomies and I'm doing very well. Some muscle pain from time to time but nothing too bad.

Happy Holidays to everyone!
  • lakeannmillakeannmi Posts: 8
    edited 03/23/2013 - 1:51 PM
    It's been 18 days pre-op for L-4-5. I still have a lot of symptoms in various areas: feet- top or bottom, shins thighs, hips, calves, etc. They are brought on by standing or sitting after a short time, or doing just about any light duty activities. I didn't think they would all be gone immediately, but am a bit nervous about how often and severe they are. Didn't get very good instructions upon my discharge. Is this common?
  • omfgitsjennoomfgitsjenn Posts: 1
    edited 08/08/2013 - 10:05 AM
    im having lumbar mirco surgery in a week..or whichever surgery it is when they shave the bulging part of your disc off to relieve nerve pain. I have a 15 month old who is 26 pounds, I know they told me I absolutely couldn't lift him for the first week but that I could lift him up after that using the correct techniques. but from what ive read on here and everywhere, her response doesn't seem to be that accurate and I do not want to reinjure myself lifting him up if I shouldn't. im a single mom with very limited help so if I really cant pick him up for more than a week or two, the surgery may be out of the question until he is older. anyone else have a problem similar to this?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.