Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

aqua therapy

im starting aqua therapy but i have doubts. how can aqua therapy actually substitute physical therapy? is it the same? i mean with physical therapy you can stretch anytime while aqua is only 3-4 times per week
advertisement

Comments

• I had exercises set by dry land physio that I continued at home while having hydrotherapy.

I also kept doing the exercises I was set by the hospital physio.

Hope that helps
    AJ
    AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,641
    I have found after 30+ years of Physical Therapy and 10+ of Aqua Therapy.   I know I had better success with Aqua therapy.
    It may sound easy walking in the water, but after 30 minutes or so in stretching, walking, etc in the water, you will be totally exhausted.

For some of my spinal problems, pure physical therapy was the option, but aqua therapy was the best for me.

Depending on how your aqua therapy sessions pan out, the can be more draining on your body, but the benefits are amazing.

The first 2 weeks I was in aqua therapy, I contacted my doctor and said this was not for me.   It was too difficult and I was left totally wiped out after the sessions.   After a month, nothing could beat it.

I had about 25 total weeks of aqua therapy., But then after I finished what Insurance will cover, I went onto their independent program.  For $50 for 8 sessions, it has been the best money spent
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • thanks guys! well my problem right now is that i can't do pilates and stuff at home because i injure myself further. if i stretch anything, it will hurt (idk if i must go thro pain to stretch?) so the doctor told me to do aqua therapy first and after that pt. the thing is, aqua therapy will be twice per week and it seems like too little to rehab? since i cant rehab at home
  • Good advice here from Ron Steven7

As I said in a previous thread, be prepared for exhaustion after session.  It is quite amazing how the force of warm water against muscles can help.  Do not underestimate it. I only had one session a week and that was enough for me!

I have always found warmth helps my muscles and nerves in daily life.  It helps relax my muscles that are fighting to hold me up, to allow me to do my exercises.  These are small but very affective.

good luck with your sessions and let us know how you get on ... look out for those rubber legs on leaving the pool.  Handrails are a must :-)

AJ
    AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator

L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 431
    I have not had aquatherapy, but I go to an aquacise class 3X weekly.  This is probably more aggressive than aquatherapy, but I am in good shape beyond my bad disc.  I started the class while I was waiting for surgery, and was super pleased that for 45 minutes I could be weightless (class is in the deep end with a flotation belt) and have next to no nerve pain.  That alone would have sold me on it.  Then I learned that doing the exercises gave my normally-spasming muscles something better to do than give me grief.  I ended up getting sufficiently toned with this activity, and I maintained it ever since.  Doing the exercises in the water, off the floor, is zero-impact.  There is also very little torque on the spine joints as the water is a kinder resistance than feet/bum planted on the floor as it is in floor exercises.  Also, water is a pain buffer, as in you don't feel the pain in the water that you would outside of it.  It's why birthing babies in water is becoming popular.  I have not had any professionals (Dr., therapist, surgeon) speak against it - they've all encouraged me to keep up the aquasize for as long as I can, so I do.  It is generally a cheaper option to by a class membership than paying for therapy.  If you can manage your own therapy, that's the way to go, in my opinion.
  • advertisement
  • thanks aj! i will surely keep posting here about it! 
    hey smartens! i will be taking it twice per week and if i can manage more, he told me he would add another one (so 3 per week) i tried pt but any stretching just makes my disc worst. so besides pt i only have aqua therapy left. if this doesnt work then i might have to take epidural to progress. my long term goal is to go back to lifting and sit for longer than 1 hour. im possitive and i will make that happen! if aqua therapy works i will be doing that in a diferent pool when im done with it so i can keep up with it. and try pt after it so i can stretch and work with my core when im home. 
  • hey guys! great news! today was my first aqua therapy and only felt soreness after taking it. it was pretty cool, but no pain! anyways, could you guys help me out with fixing my posture? when standing and walking? the thing is, i think my posture is killing the lower back and i want to fix that. i went to different sites and tried to fix it but it leads to pain while trying. how did you guys fix this? 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,641
    Steven,
    The answer to your question HAS to come from the therapist or technician that is watching you in the pool.   Anytime I've been in the pool, those folks constantly watch to ensure your are doing things correctly.

It is not surprising that after search and looking at fixes, you had more pain.   Remember, any exercise, routine, etc is good when the actual person is being considered.  You cant get that complete picture for searching and if members here respond, they are only responding on what worked for THEM.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • To go along with what Ron said, your therapist can actually put treadmills and bikes (special types) into the pool in order to exercise you and tell if your having additional issues.  Aqua therapy helped me more than any other form of PT after my surgery.  After getting out of the pool they made me get in a hot tube because they knew I'd tighten up right after getting out.  I felt like a wet noodle getting out.  If I'd had a glass of wine with it, I'd swear it was a perfect date!

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Hi Steven7

how are you getting on with the aqua therapy?

Have you asked about problems with your posture?  You may find with the exercises your posture will start to improve anyway.  Your therapist needs you to bring things to the table sometimes to progress therapy.  Most of them work out what your body is struggling with by watching you walking without you even being aware they are!

EMS guy - I laughed at your comment about a glass of wine.  I remember saying to others patients in the pool when I developed balance issues, that I felt like I had consumed a bottle of wine!  Exiting the pool that week was an interesting experience, but not one I want to repeat.

I am currently trying to get back onto a program to help build more muscle tone before surgery, as I know I will need all the help I can get after surgery!

They signed me off from physio as they said there wasn't anymore they could do for me and to carry on at home.  I do have an exercise bike and do the exercises set but who knows if I am doing them correctly over a long period of time?!  Guess that is the NHS and strained resources for you.

AJ
    AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator

advertisement