Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

my scolosis and surgry

advertisement

Comments

• ok I am almost at 6 months, and sunday and Monday I just started to feel diffent..like I can move a little freeer if that's a word..the left side rib muscle pain is cut in half..still there but so much less..is this just a good few days or a new phase..i really do think the massage therapy is paying off..its a deap tissue massage so she hits the tendens where it all connects. there not all enjouable..some parts hurt during but feel good after..last two times she hit the gluts..that in turn helped the hamstrings and the low back. I am very lucky to have been given such a good deal. I pay for a 30 min seasion but get an hr..I hope other can find someone as wonderful as I have found..she says she just wants to help see me get better faster..she is a wonderful lady..i have asked her to document all she has done for me as it might help other in the future.

WWlady I did not feel heavy in the pool. I was able to float np. do you know what kind of hardware you have..is your Harrington robs? theres a few diff kinds out there. but also before surgry I was a very big swimmer. liked to swim a mile 3 times a week on off running seasons..also I am cert. diver..i like swimming under the water as much as on top...lol not sure if I will ever be able to dive again but I sure hope swimming gets better.

for right now it looks like theres light at the end of this tunnel. I do feel better, just hope its a turning point..still worried about the arm pain..its too much like before when it was the bone spires and disk in neck..massage therapist said it could also be shoulder..talk to doc..and just push on..not to dewl on it too much..so that's what I am trying to due..thats hard btw..lol

WWLady I so hope you can start the massages, I really feel they helped..we spent a month on just legs..then a month on back , neck and shoulders.  next will will do combo of legs and back with targets on bad spots. my left leg is still much weaker then right and I still have thos spots where the muscel won't fire due to nerve damage.. they heal ever sooooo slow.

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,438
    so i asked my PT about massage and he hoomed and hawed and finally said well, you need to ask the surgeon.  LOL.  but then i had my hubby just rub my back last night and it felt SOOOO good in places...and so NOT good in others, and that was just a rub, not a massage by any stretch, so i think i'm going to wait a little longer. 

so reading your post....i was just about to post in my scoliosis thread-something changed for me on monday.  i woke up stiff like always, had a hot shower, and i haven't needed a painkiller or muscle relaxant since!!!! something changed in the muscles in my back.  i can move better.  my balance all of a sudden started working.  my core strength is better because the muscles actually contract when i ask them to!  and it's like i have control again of them!   all i can think is that the nerve endings grew back into the muscles that were disturbed.  i swam last night (just breaststroke and only 10 minutes) and if felt amazing!  and PT yesterday too!  i swear someone flicked a lightswitch.....i was getting a bit bummed out that i wasn't seeing any progress the last month or so...but wow, something changed on monday!  5.5 months.....i am still having some spasticity in my walking, and i have to actually concentrate to not turn my left foot in when i put it down on the floor, but i'll take this improvement!

i'm so glad xrobynx that you posted!  i was thinking i must be nuts LOL. 
    i don't have harrington rods. as i understand harringtons are only screwed in at the top and bottom....mine are screwed into all my vertebrae from T10 all the way to S2....2 screws on each vertebrae and 2 rods one on each side.  pedicle screw system.  i guess i really should be careful the next few days.  i feel so amazing the last 2 days that i just want to go and do!  and go and do EVERYTHING!  LOL.  like you said, light at the end of tunnel...i'm starting to think so too! 

please let us know what the dr says about your arm/shoulder.  i hope it's not a disk/bone spurs!!!!! 
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • wow WWLady I am so happy for you..its like 5.5 to 6month is a big turning point..i am not saying I don't still have some pain..but I am dealing better with it and it doesn't seem as bad..not sure if its just a good week or turning point..what ever it is, i'll take it..but since we are about the same time line I can't help but think its a turning point

as for massage it is best to lissen to your own body, in my case we started with legs to give back more time to heal..it did not do much for numbness or pain in legs..but it did give me a big diff in range of mosstion..and yes deep tissue massages hurt a little..lissen to your body..it will tell you when your ready..

It sounds like you have the same hardware as me..but as far as floating I was allways what we call cork like..i float with no effort at all..i can even take a nap if I have too...lol..i must be part duck.

now I still have a lot of numbing feeling in lower back..extreme on the left side of back..left hip and good postion of left leg, bottom of left foot..i have heard that can take many many years to go away..i sure hope not..what have you heard

also when I walk can not take as big a step..my trainer said cuz rods are based in pelic bone took that range away from me..and it still feels like right leg is now longer then left. I will always want more improvement..there is so much I was not told about..i still have regrates from time to time and wished I would of waited a few more years before having this done..

I am attempting to go this whole week without the cane..i think the cane is becoming security blanket..and it bothers my shoulder with using pressure on it. I do carry it for long trips tho just incase..yesterday I walked a little over a mile without it tho and felt ok..i have not been walking as much last two weeks cuz of cleaning washing floors and carpet getting ready for dads return home..

• well cold and rain returned and brought back a bit of pain with it..i steal feel as though i turned a cornor..but i am growing to not like cold and damp. i fear i will have to learn to live with that. or dose weather changes get better in time..wished i could look into my future. today is my last day with the trainner then i am on my own. i have come along way. they say my walking looks better but it still feels like i limp and walk weried..it feels so strange still.

i hear ya!  the weather changes do actually HURT....at least to me.  i just start with this ache that makes me think "uh oh i did too much" then "hey, it's getting worse"....to "i didn't do THAT much"....to "oh, it's thundering out, the weather is changing i may as well go lay on the sofa with my heating pad and not do anything till this is over".  then once the weather settles i feel better again.  yep, not "no pain" per se, but went from a 5-6 to a 2-3, maybe a 4?....i'm very very happy about that.  and it's easier for me to feel when i'm doing something wrong, because it definitely is a 6-7 when i do something stupid. 
    Does it surprise you how long it takes to walk semi-normally again?  i am floored by how long it's taking.  apparently both my hips are all messed up....we're working on them at PT and they've starting cracking and popping and snapping and feeling a bit better, but i still don't walk normally.  i can accept having a shorter stride and all that, but at 5.5 months i still have to THINK about putting my left foot down on the floor facing forwards and not twisted in a little bit, and putting my right foot in line and not off to the right.  and stairs are still a hazard for me, i seem to catch my right heel on the front of the stair i'm trying to step past.  like i don't step out far enough or something.  or i'll put my foot too close to the edge, or catch my heel on the riser.  it's soooooo irritating!  i watched someone bound up the stairs the other day and couldn't actually remember the last time i could bound up stairs!  like....YEARS.....maybe in my teens!  now i grab that railing every time....it's saved me from falling a few times....
    people tell me they can barely tell about my walk except i'm slow.  but i went to the cafeteria with one of my coworkers the other day and they could see when i'd scuff my foot on the floor (tripping over the roses LOL), or get my foot out of alignment so i'd end up moving sideways a bit, i can't for the life of me walk a totally straight line for 20 steps!  but it's definitely better than just before surgery, or just after.  i do a lot of treadmill walking, where i can concentrate on one foot in the right place, next foot in the right place.....with the "save me" handles RIGHT THERE.  lol. 
    keep on puttering on xrobynx!  we will get there!  i think we are all doing great, but i sure wish the changes were more noticeable now.  seems almost like the recovery is slowing down, but then i think of how i was before surgery, and then just after surgery, and how far i've come.  makes me feel better. 
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • having dad home with family from tx is nice but so tired all the time...less sleep then I was use too.  also had 19 family menbers here on sunday..not use to that much work..or stress. no major set backs, just a little increased pain rib area and neck..might just be stress.

my sister-in-law went for a walk with me..we did little over a mile with out the cane. she said I need to stand a little straighter when I walk..keep shoulders back..it seems as I walk with upper body bent inwards.  now that I can walk with out cane time to work on form. I have a above ground pool in back yard..had to figure a way to go up and down the ladder, my hips don't let me do it the way I did before. for me side ways seems to work the best.  I do have to be carefull with left leg, it is still so much weaker then the right..that inner muscle still is not working at all. 

doctors update tomarrow, I can't wait need to go over all my questions today make sure I wrote them all down.

i notice that too xrobynx-leaning forward at the top of my bars....need to stand taller.  shoulders back.  work in progress is what i figure.  congrats on getting over a mile without the cane! that's HUGE!!!!! yay! 
    my left leg is weak too.  my physiotherapist honed in on that yesterday. i am still recovering. LOL.  hold the railing on the way up and down!!!! slow and steady wins the race.  please let us know how your appointment went today!  i have every finger and toe that i can possible cross crossed for you!!!!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator

• your crossed toes and fingers paid off WLLady

I had a good appointment..had time to ask all my question and get some answers.  looks like I am a little ahead on recovery..that made me feel good..he was also able to make me feel a little better about having this surgry when I did and not to have waited any longer.  as for that lump in my back that feels like a screw coming out..it needs to be x-rayed so he knows for sure whats going on..said it could be the rob sliped out..either way, its an easy fix and at most over night home next morning..so..not to worried about that

now he also could not say about the pain in the arm..need an image of the neck to know for sure whats going on there..would not even talk about posiblities of ways to fix till he knows what where and how bad..so I will keep working for more recovery and try to not worry till answer are there as to what it is for sure. so back to that one word we all hate...patients!!..one way or another I am going to learn that..lol

all most forgot..my rib pain is normal and there is something that can be done for that also..that light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. so six months out I see a big difference and I am feeling better about all of it. next doctors visit in 3 months, maybe sooner depending on what the test all show. now looking for a good report for WLLady. i'll cross all my toes and fingers for you ... hope it work for you as well as it did for me...LOL

YAY!!!!
    so did you get the xrays done? (or will you?)

my 6 month followup keeps getting pushed out...my surgeon is getting updates from my physiotherapist, and i have nothing really to complain about (except the weather changing aches in my back), so my 6 month followup should have been next week, and it's now the last week of july! so it'll be an almost 8 month check up for me :-)

i am giving these hot flashes till the end of next week, then if they are still this annoying i will call my family doctor and get in to see her. 
    i'm so glad you had a good appointment!  i sure hope it's not the rod slipping out of the screw!  that would suck.....i don't know how i would feel about them having to go back in just as i was feeling better LOL.
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator

• sorry your still having thos heat flashes WLLady...and yes I do plan on having the xrays done..but I am a vetran and they are paying so I need that preaprovale number first..they are not easy to deal with so might not happen as fast as I would like.  and I thought yesterday I could be patient..but today I am like o wow..i want to know now..so still trying to not let myself get worked up..just one day at a time..had a bad night..not use to dad and sister in law being here they woke me up ..unable to get back to sleep..over did it running around with them..just need to recoup now..back is hurting on right now..this is new..but I think I just over did it..walked about 4 miles with sister-in-law, house cleaning pool cleaning..shoping..yard work...dad..wow..i hurt and now want answers I can't get for a time..tonight I need to sleep..i spent 6 months alone..not use to this and they don't understand..no one but you guys understand..if I sound frustrated..i am...lol
advertisement