Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

30yr old male, small l5 S1 "protrusion"

Comments

• Do u do any exercises or stretching?

• Hey - it’s been  year, how are you now? 

• advertisement
  • Hello! Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. Ot has been over a year now and for the past 3 or 4 months I've been basically pain free...or at least a low enough pain that I can easily ignore it.

What has helped for me? I smoke a lot of cannabis, and I find that it relaxes my entire body. I've gone easy on stretching, hardly do any at all anymore. I do my physio core exercises although I often forget now.  Honestly I feel like stopping stretching was great for me...I noticed that the nerve pain was always flared up by stretching, counter to the advice I was given.

I longboard to work, went wakeboarding the other weekend, and am excited to ski again next year.

I think I'll hang up the skates and the weightlifting.  Just too risky for my "glass back" as I like to call it.

My strategy for the future is to try and stay a healthy weight, keep up core exercises, and stay away from sports/activities that produce unstable situations.

I still worry about hurting it again, or having more problems later on in life, but I'm 100% better than I was even 6 months ago.

Feel better soon spineys!

• Well would you look at that....I'm back again!

Not sure whats going on.  About a week and half ago, I've been getting really weird symptoms in my legs and feet. Buzzing/tingling on and off, cold icy pain from about my mid thigh to my feet.  Mostly tops of feet, inside ankles and inside knees/thighs.

Incredibly frustrating, my back feels pretty strong and I didn't do anything to tweak it.  I have no idea why this flare up of nerve pain is happening other than I've been dealing with some anxiety lately in my life, but nothing too unusual.

• Hello forum and Wrcftw,

I am a 29 year old male, in good shape and never encountered this type of injury, until of April 2018. I NEVER used to do deadlifts in my regime, but feeling confident I ignored the signs of my body when I did it. None the less, my technique was horrendous and certain it caused my herniation from a torn annalus in l4-5. Along my l5-s1 I have a protruding bulge that is 6mm causing moderate stenosis. 

My doctor when first hearing my symptoms assumed a strong possible herniation, so I got the MRI done and those were the findings. I regret waiting out from initial injury, but the young mind tends to think it can heal on its own.

I’ve been taking numerous ayudervic medicine and I find it helps... but the stiffness is there along with a burning sensation in my lower back sometimes. I don’t have no sciatica pain, but I can’t sit down for long periods of time. I’m doing stretching and bought an inversion table. 

Tomorrow I see my doctor again to speak on the results and possible treatments. My worst fear is the surgery aspect and how I’m not financially ready for what’s to come. I’m keeping optimistic but like most with this injury tend to cloud the mind quite often. What worked or is working for some of you with this injury? Will I ever be normal?

Thank you guys in advance!
  • advertisement
  • Hope you’re doing better. I’m also 31 and have minor disc bulges which have caused chronic pain for the past 3 years. I used to play a lot of hockey (I miss those days). The goal now is to be pain free. Toughest part for me is the sitting all day long at work. I’m actually scheduled for a PRP shot next week. I hope to see some results. 

I’ve tried to follow the Stuart McGill program. For me forward flexion is particularly rough. 

Best of luck guys. 

• Hello darkness my old friend...

Back again with nerve pain in both my shins and a sore lower back.  Feeling really discouraged...

• @Kevinb31 how did the PRP injections go?

@wrcftw sorry to hear that. What is your plan of action now?  More Physio, surgery, prp, stem cells, etc. ?

advertisement