Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Future?

Barks18BBarks18 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2017 - 3:34 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi.
First time post on any forum, so please be gentle.
I'm male, 182cm, 90kg and 42, i have a very supportive wife and two boys aged 3.5yrs and 1.5yrs old.
I suffered a prolapsed L5 disc 9 years ago, which at time the consultant said it was 50/50 whether to operate or not. I opted to try physio for about 18 months and it finally got better.

Jump forward to February 2016 and my lower back pain was getting bad (no real leg pain), with the pain concentrated on the middle of my lower back/top of buttocks. Again I had physio and Naproxen and Diazapam, which helped a very small amount.
Eventually i paid for a MRI Scan showing the prolapse had got worse and I had disc degeneration. I had a Spinal Root Block injection. This improved things greatly. I still had the odd day here and there where I couldn't do much, but was managed by taking Paracetamol and reducing activity.
Two and a half weeks ago I was on a bus and had to get off a couple of stops early due to pain in my lower back again. It took me 30mins to walk 100m where I eventually collapsed due to the pain. Luckily a passer by called an ambulance where I was admitted and given Gabapentin 300mg 3/day, Paracetamol 1000mg 4/day, Oxycodone slow release tablets 15mg 2/day and Oxycodone liquid quick release10mg 4/day.
None of this did anything in reducing the pain. I was able to move as long as there was no compression on my spine (no sitting or stsnding). On the 5th day in hospital the physio tried to get me standing with crutches. I got to standing but then fainted due to the pain. The same happened the next day. On the 7th day i had a Lumber Epidural injection. the 9th day I managed to stand and have a couple of small steps. On the 10th day I walked up about 4 stairs and down. All of which caused me massive pain. The hospital then discharged me and I've been at home since. I'm currently on the same meds and I can walk to the bathroom for a wash then back to laying down (I know that I need to move but it is so panful).

What are your thoughts and recommendations going forward.

I cannot continue to be like this so any support would be gratefully received. 
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,665
    Hello Barks18 
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
    Please click on the link for useful information Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Liz.
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
    Some of the other posts that I'd read had replies asking to give as much detail as possible
    I was just after some support really.

Best wishes, 
    Paul
  • advertisement
  • wajihwwajih torontoPosts: 27
    Hi Berks18
    I am really sorry to hear your suffering. My story is very similar to you even the age group and level of injury i.e. L5/S1 but I don't have DDD. Can you please tell us that if the pain you have is all lower back or you have radiculupathy as well which is pain going to the thigh or legs? any tingling numbness?This would explain more that if the pain is more neurogenic or discogenic. Secondly if there is any nerve root compression as per your MRI? I personally never came to the point where  I was not able to walk at all and after 20 months post injury my pain is restricted to lower back and  it is more discogenic with some disc space lost. Two and a half week post injury is very early to predict about anything. There is no rule which can state that you would not get better or  worst. It all varies person to person. Have you seen any NS? or Orthopedic . What does NS say? More ESI/Block, Discetomy or Fusion? You don't have to push yourself for any physical challenge in such an acute phase of injury just take it easy and keep yourself pain free even if you have to stay in bed all day and please keep taking the pills prescribed to you. Muscle atrophy doesn't happen in days or weeks. Nerve compression generally respond well to conservative treatment over time but the pain arising from disc  or annular tear are tricky and are harder to deal with. Just hang in there with hope there are people around us with bigger more serious issues and would take your or mine condition over their's. without any hesitation.
    Prayers and good luck.......May you have good health soon.
    Regards
    Wajih
  • Many thanks for your replies, they offer both support and ideas to go forward with.
    I did have an MRI and the consultant said that it didn't show anything different to the earlier ones. He also stated that an operation would possibly help but in the future the issue would repeat itself.
    My pain is concentrated in the central lower back but do have some pain in top of my right buttock with no numbness or tingling in my legs.
    I'm being treated by the NHS in the UK and I do think that they treated me at the time to get me home and treated the effect but not the true cause of my issues. I appreciate that they are very stretched but that doesn't help the individual. 
    Thank you again and I wish you all the best with your issues.
  • Hi Barks, 
    I am very sorry to hear about your pain. I cannot provide you with any medical advice as I am not a doctor but I can share with you a bit about my experience dealing with back pain.

Background: I am 30 years old and I've hurt my back from army wear and tear in my early twenties. I have a herniated L5-S1 (annular tear) and a degenerated L4-L5, a lot of lumbar instability and something off in my hips. I can barely sit for more than 10 - 20 minutes without my compression belt and I am in pain most of the time.à

Key point:   There is hope and you will get your back back. It might never be 100% but don't give up and try to delay surgery as much as possible.

What worked for me:  For me what helped the most at first was physiotherapy. I did a lot of work for the multifidus and transversal muscles while taking naproxen to keep my pain down. Also, I had Prp done, Regenokine done and I've been using a thing I bought on Amazon called a ." posture pump."   I am not recommending you to go buy one but in my case, it helped me decompress my disc and have days where I was fine ( then i believed that I was healed and I went to a Bootcamp fitness class and crippled myself again...) 

In a few weeks, I am flying back to the Cayman island for a stem cell injection in my lower back. I'll let you know how that goes.

I promise there's always hope! In the last 10 years, I've had days where I could not even tie my shoes, and I've had days where I was doing crazy stuff at the gym. There's hope for recovery.
  • advertisement
advertisement