Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Does traction help?

does traction help in sciatica / lumbar slip disc? What are the side effects/ risks?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,269
    Read all about Traction

I have had it at various times to help with my lumbar, thoracic and cervical disc problems.

It gave me little relief in terms of the sciatica. Until the disc that was impinging the nerve was removed, the sciatica was always present.
    Similar, when I didnt have sciatica associated with a disc problem, traction helped with my lumbar problems only, did not help at all with the thoracic problems and I had problems in the cervical area.
    But for lumbar, no side effects or risks that I know about.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    It helps me and has for a long time.  Its short lived, but I used cervical traction ( which helps with cervical and a little thoracic) and I used inversion.  I used to have no side effects, but it can flare my neurological issues now although I feel better when flare subsides.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • Dilauro, Your sciatica was in both the legs or just one. Mine was initially in just left leg. As I was improving, now the pain has started in right leg as well. Is it sciatica or could it be something else? 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,269
    Always my right leg
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • After my first session of traction (it has been 3 days), my pain has increased. Is it normal after first session?

• advertisement
  • I use a device called the NuBax Trio, it's a traction device for mid to lower back.  Works very good.  Only need to do 3 min 2-3 times a day on it.  Good for people that cannot tolerate an inversion table or do not have the room for one.  I usually get a nice pop in my back when I use it if I have been on my feel all day.  Love that relief!
  • @tjlazer are you suffering from herniated disc or is it sthg else that you use traction for? I ask because traction hasn't helped me much for now. Thanks

advertisement