Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Steroid verses Placebo injections no difference ???

So kind of some interesting information my hubby met with his doctor to discuss options for his knee pain. We were both thinking steroid injection I was surprised at what the surgeon told him. 
He told him that there was a huge test done using Placebo and Steroid shots the results were the same as far as helping the pain. He said that they are looking into do steroids really give the relief they think they do and if they do what are true side effects/damages.
We all know there are risks I just thought the test was interesting makes you wonder.
Hope you are having a kind day.
Sherri
advertisement

Comments

• There goes the old brain again dang it not explaining things well enough sorry.
    The Doctor said they took the same amount of people and half they gave injections with zero medication in them and the other half had steroids in the injections. The total group of people had the same results in getting pain relief and not getting pain relief. 
    They just wonder if the shots with steroids are worth the possible side effects and damage which they are not even clear on yet.
    He gave my husband a medication that is hell on the stomach which is that better not sure we will see.
    I had not heard of Addison's disease before till you mentioned it in one of your other messages sorry you have to deal with that. 
    I cannot have anymore steroids due to my reaction to them which will never mend. I had an injection from one of my least favorite doctor's and my left leg was never the same plus I am positive it started this pain hell of the last four years.
    Like you said it is what it is.
    Take care and I hope the day is being kind to you.
    Sherri
  • Hi Aneita
    Nice to talk to you things are pretty hectic with me so not getting back to writing people like I want to. 
    I get what you say about taking the meds and for me steroids was one of the tools thrown at me to avoid taking pain meds which has left my stomach damaged. I have heard before what happened to your sister-in-law hopefully she will be able to mend. 
    Steroids do help so many I was never one of them and have begged for injections more than once to decrease the inflammation and pain. But both my bone scan and reactions to the steroids the doctor's now say no more.
    Oh that pain when the knee is like that has to be awful do they ever talk about doing surgery? My husbands is like that bone on bone and he suffers but puts off surgery due to the recovery time. 
    Gosh for sure that has to be a great day not being in a wheelchair. 
    I just found that pretty amazing that there was the same results for that group whether or not they got the steroids makes you wonder.
    Take care Sherri
  • advertisement