Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nervous and stressed and need to vent

After 7 months of unrelenting back pain, I feel as if I am back at square one. I have been on gabapentin and lyrica with no relief, 2 l/5-s/1 injections, a l-5/s-1 and s-1/s-2 injection, and a piriformis injection...all with no relief. Having had no movement in my toes for a little over 3 months my doctor sent me for an emg/nerve conduction study. I had that done on Tuesday and have been stressing about it all week.
He did the test and when he was finished I asked him how it went and he said that my weakness wasn't stemming from my herniated discs and it was most likely something neurological or in my spine. I see my regular pm doctor on Monday to discuss the findings.
The reason I am very concerned is bc about 10 years ago after dealing with crippling migraines I finally saw a neurologist who discovered spots on my brain. I went through all of the ms diagnostic tests and I was negative for ms. They were never able to determine what the spots were from and assumed it was just scarring from my migraines. I am concerned now that it could possibly be ms or some other neurological disorder. 
After completing the emg the doctor prescribed me prednisone and gave me instructions on tapering it for 8 days. I am on day 5 now with no change in the ability to move my toes. I had the piriformis injection done 2 weeks ago with no change in my pain. I'm scheduled for a si joint injection in 2 weeks if the doctor decides to do it. The last time I saw him he told me that my amount of pain and weakness is not explained by the size of my herniated discs and therefore he can't figure out where the pain is coming from.
It's been a very frustrating 7 months for me and I just want answers at this point. I was hoping the emg would provide the specific spot of where the weakness is coming from but that now just opened up a new can of worms. I wish this was an easier process with more success on the pain front as nothing I have taken or been prescribed has helped with the pain
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,473
    bren85

Dealing with spinal problems can be a process. There are so many variables to deal with, muscles, nerves, disc, vertebra.
    And it all can be overwhelming and frustrating. But the only way to find out the problem is to keep digging.
    I've had countless MRI's, CAT scans, injections, PT, to have one doctor after another tell me I was out of options, my back was too damaged.  But I finally found a pain management doctor that has helped with the pain. 

But you mentioned that your doctor can't figure out where the pain is coming from. That might be something you could discuss with him, if he can't then who can?

Hang in there and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Well it's off to the neurologist. I was lucky to get squeezed in on Friday due to a cancelation. I'm hoping he can give me a plan. My PM doc said due to the readings on the emg my foot symptoms are more likely a neurological reason somewhere in my brain or neck. He said there is a small chance it could be due to my herniated discs but he wants to rule out neurological reasons first. So for now I'm waiting for Friday and to see how many more tests I'll need to have. Thank you for your words of wisdom and concern. I'm hoping for answers soon!
  • advertisement
  • Glad you will be seeing the neurologist. Really good to get the professional looking at you and helping solve the mystery. 

• I know how frustrating it is to try to figure out what's going on! Please keep us posted! 
    Holly
    L5/S1 DDD/Herniation/Stenosis/Hypertrophic facet joint
    Been in pain since 2000
    Injections 
    PT
    Pain management/Medicine 
    IDET
    TLIF L5/S1 04/20/17
advertisement