Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Spinal Fusion

My son is 20 years old and has already had 3 back surgeries since April 2014. The first was to repair a break in his L5. They did this with bone grafts and titanium screws and clamps. Ideally, it was supposed to grow back together where he grafted the cracks. It was cracked in two places. He seemed to do well. However once becoming very active again, he began to have pain again. His second surgery was September 2015 to repair the cracks again because evidently my son could feel minor movements in there. Again did well until began exercising again. Third surgery was spinal fusion. They fused his L5 to S1 in April of 2016. He did well. About 3 months ago he began having pain again like the pre-surgery pain. MRI showed the disc was still the same. (It was a little beat up before surgery). XRays show hardware looks good. However X-ray does show that on the two outer sides the bones don't appear fused. The middle portion appears fused. Doctor ordered CT so he could look at bones a little better. We get results tomorrow. The dr mentioned he may have to go back in and do more grafts. Has anyone else had similar issues? 

His L5 break was possibly an old break, but while weightlifting at the high school in January 2014, he completely injured it. It broke on both sides of the L5. Thus requiring surgery April 2014 of his Senior year. 

If the bones haven't fused or grown together from the 3 surgeries, how can I be assured they will with more bone grafts? Could there be something wrong that does not allow his bones to completely heal?  He's never had any broken bones in his life other than this injury. 

I would appreciate any wisdom on this.

advertisement