Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Need some experienced help please.

I have gone to my same doctor for my back issues for the last five-six years without any problems.  Today, I had a very upsetting incident at the doc's office, and find myself being told that they are dropping me.  (Pain doc is primary doc). Here's what happened:

For the last week, I have been very ill.  Swollen glands, fever, diarrhea, exhaustion, lightheaded.  I made an appointment to finally get in to see doc since the issues are not resolving as I would have expected them to.  I spoke with my doctor who I have known well for years regarding my illness, came up with a plan to diagnose the issue, then requested to pick up my prescription for my pain meds while at the office to avoid a second trip, any issue with holiday scheduling, and to open my calendar to allow me to take my son to visit his grandparents for the 4th of July holiday. 

My doc remarked that she didn't want to write them, that she wanted me to return to see her on July 5th, and that she didn't want me to travel to see my family.  She told me that the only way she would provide my rx was with a date of July 5th(30 days exactly from last fill).  I asked her to allow me to get them today, or at the least dated for Friday, June 30th, so that it would not interfere with holiday plans.  

[*to be clear, the prescription is eleigible for refill as of today, June 28th*]

She said that we could discuss it on Friday, June 30th, but she was not willing to write it due to complaints she recieved recently from pharmacies, in regards to other patients *NOT ME.  

Anyway, the nurse prepared to draw my blood, then told me that my doc asked for a urine sample.  I asked if I could finish my drink and provide the sample after the blood work, and was told that was ok.  

After taking four vials, I told the nurse that I didn't think I could go yet, and requested a bottle of water.  After that bottle, I still had dry mouth, and didn't think I could go, but I decided to attempt.  Got a tiny bit of urine produced after about 10 minutes of trying...so I asked the nurse if I could set the cup down, drink more, and add to it after.  She told me that was ok.  

Turns out, she was wrong.  Another staff member reprimanded her for that, and said the specimen has to be at the same time.  

At this point I had been at the Doc's office for close to four hours(including travel time for appt and waiting room), and was recieving calls from my sitter asking where I was.  She needed to get to work, and I was running late.  

I told this to the nurse, and asked if I could return after getting my son to provide the urine.  I was told that if I left the office, that I would be considered outside the pain contract for not providing a sample when one was requested.  I reiterated that I had to pick up my son, and asked again for any other way to resolve this situation.  Unfortunately, it fell on deaf ears, and I had to leave to pick up my son from my very irritated sitter who was now late for work.

So here I am.  Hours later...still haven't urinated.  Diarrhea returned, and told by my doc that I'm SOL and to try maybe the ER for pain medication until I start with another doctor. 

Does anyone have any advice, ideas, or anything for me to proceed from this point on?  As I said I'm eligible for refill through insurance, holiday coming in a couple days, a five year old to care for alone while in pain (I'm a single parent with no local family), and I'm scared of what's to come.  

I know that in a matter of hours my back can and likely will go from bearable...to leaving me gasping on the floor in pain.  I have enough meds to make it to the weekend, but will be on my own during the 4th of July holiday.  I have no idea who to talk to, or if there is anyone that would even give a crap enough to help anyway...

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,419
    Hi PainPatient1133

Welcome to Spine-Health

My first question is, do you have an appointment June 30? If so, explain the situation you were in and agree to follow the guidelines.
    You have a contract with them and if you do not follow the contract they will dismiss you. Sad to say in your circumstance you had a valid reason, she just didn't want to work with you. Doctors are not wanting to take any chances anymore.

While you are waiting on other members to reply, please click on the Welcome link below as well as the System Tutorial for more information.

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 

Please keep us posted and take care.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Unfortunately, not providing a urine sample or leaving and returning to give a sample are both not allowed, and considered automatic fails, and typically results in dismissal. Even though your insurance may have been willing to pay today, many pharmacists and Dr's will only fill on a precriptions due date. Insisting on early fills, not complying with urine testing was not a good decision. Do you have an appt on the 30th? 

• advertisement
  • Thank you both for your responses!  

In the interest of fairness, I would like to mention:

---Over the last five years, this doc has been wonderful to me.  Easy to talk to, available, and genuinely cared about my health.  She also has been recieving a large number of pain patients over the last few months from the other Doctor in practice, and It appears to me (by the way she spoke about it) that she may have been having a bad day, possibly hit her limit with someone/thing....dunno.  

----I didn't in any way(intentionally) try to appear needy, argumentative, or anything like that.  I'm just the type of person that speaks frankly.  

I also didn't ask about the prescription, nor intend to take it home today.  I just asked her in the beginning of the appointment, told her why, and when she was not agreeable, asked if friday would be possible.  I will admit that I was pretty surprised by her response.  It was quick, decisive, and hard.  I think almost any other day, it wouldn't have been an issue.  

I plan to go I friday for the results of the bloodwork.  Tell her that I apologize if I came off in any bad way...tell her I understand the rules, hope she understands the reason I faulted, and wish her the best.  

Who knows...she might save my kids life someday or something. 

• I understand. I have always had a great relationship with my PM doctors as well, and am also a frank, direct kind of person. I was with my previous pm dr, for 10 years, and we had many, many discussions about the world of pain medicine , and the obstacles surrounding it, from her perspective and mine, as a patient. We discussed the things that set her hair on her neck on alert...and the govts interference in the dr-pt. relationship. I hope you get it straightened out and your relationship with your Dr is back on good footing.

advertisement