Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Thoughts & Opinions Needed, Please :)

Hi Everyone!

So I have read... Mmmm...Probably close to, if not more than, 100 of these threads and it's finally my turn to post!

I am in an unexpected "crunch time" when deciding on the scs as my deductibles are met and I learned Regence won't be offering individual plans in my area next year. My doctors have presented the idea of the Boston Scientific or the Nevro HF10. I have heard lots about the Nevro but not so much about the Boston Scientific. Like many of you, I have read and read and read! I am hoping to proceed with the trial but have so many questions! Any help is much appreciated!

1. What is the *actual* average battery life?
2. Anyone know the statistics as far as likelihood of infections, lead movement, etc?
3. Paddle leads vs. the straight ones? (I can't think of the name) who decides that and how?
4. What is the difference between the dorsal root ganglion implant and the scs?
5. Since the scs is designed to mask your pain, would you know if you actually hurt yourself?
6. Does the weather (i.e. extreme hot or cold) affect it?
7. Does insurance typically cover revision surgeries and battery replacements?

Back story: I was in a car accident in 2014, did all the traditional therapies, medications, injections, etc. Had an L4-S1 ALIF in 2016 that almost killed me and have never recovered. I can barely walk, sit, sleep, etc. I have done every therapy, medication, etc. I am told I need a bilateral SI joint fusion due to bilateral sacriolitis and being hypermobile. Insurance won't cover it and half the doctors I have seen don't think it's the answer so I am opting not to have it done at this time. On the same note, I am only 30 and haven't been back to work or life in a year and a half now so I am desperate to get back to the world, as I am sure many of you can relate. I am told this is my last hope so I am a nervous wreck, yet, I think it may be worth trying...

Also, in addition to opinions, advice, etc. any pointers as to where to look or how to find more info/statistical info would be lovely!

Thanks in advance! 

advertisement

Comments

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745

That's a lot of questions. ;-)

I'm glad you will give an scs a try. With the trial, there's not much to lose. It either helps or it does not. I had no choice on leads or paddles. My spine can handles leads and my doc installed leads. 

• RainyDayDivaRRainyDayDiva South Hill, WAPosts: 15
    @jimandjr I have read your story in other forums and it is such an inspiration! It gives me hope :) And yes, it is a ton of questions, I am "that girl" ha-ha! 
  • advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745

Thanks, Rainy.

I have learned a lot in this forum and I try to give back. 

• Wow! You are a detailed person like my husband.  I'll try to answer some of your questions.  I am 76 YO and have different requirements and injuries.  I strongly urge you to research the six different manufacturers of SCS devices.

1. What is the *actual* average battery life? I opted for a rechargeable battery with an expected life of 10 years which may outlast me!
    2. Anyone know the statistics as far as likelihood of infections, lead movement, etc? I chose the algovita since it has flexible leads.  I had my perm three days ago and all is well so far.
    3. Paddle leads vs. the straight ones? (I can't think of the name) who decides that and how?  I've never heard of paddle leads.  I thought all leads are straight wires with nodes on them.  You may be confused and thinking of the paddle that goes over your SCS when charging the battery.
    4. What is the difference between the dorsal root ganglion implant and the scs?  I've read about this but not enough to comment.  I chose the newest SCS that has all the bells & whistles and everything the others have plus more!
    5. Since the scs is designed to mask your pain, would you know if you actually hurt yourself?  There are two types of nerves and the SCS doesn't affect the sensory nerve system, i.e pin stick, etc.
    6. Does the weather (i.e. extreme hot or cold) affect it? Yes there are temperature limits.  With mine it's 95 degrees I think???
    7. Does insurance typically cover revision surgeries and battery replacements? I don't know but I have very good company insurance and believe all is covered.

• RainyDayDivaRRainyDayDiva South Hill, WAPosts: 15

@Judene Thank you so very much for taking the time to comment! To clarify, percutaneous leads are the long straight leads. Paddle leads require a laminectomy and are inserted in it's place. Scar tissue eventually holds them in place and they are known to have less migration issues than the percutaneous leads.They're recommended if you live or want to live an active lifestyle :)

How are you feeling now that you are a few more days post op?

• advertisement
advertisement