Meet Dr. John J. Moossy, MD
Dr. Moossy is a board-certified neurosurgeon with UPMC Department of Neurosurgery.
He practices general neurosurgery with a special interest in the surgical treatment of a wide range of back and neck conditions.
D. Moossy at a Glance
- Dr. Moossy is professor of neurological surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, director of the Center for Pain Management at UPMC, and chief of neurosurgery at Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System.
- Dr. Moossy’s publications include several articles in peer-reviewed journals such as Spine, Journal of Neurosurgery, and Neurosurgery.
Dr. Moossy is committed to helping you recover a high quality of life.
Dr. Moossy is a member of UPMC Department of Neurosurgery.
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. John J. Moossy, MD Can Help You
- Residency - Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina
- Medical School - Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Degenerative Spinal Conditions
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Herniated Disc / Bulging Disc
- Nerve Entrapment
- Pinched Nerve
- Spinal Stenosis
- Cervical Discectomy and Fusion
- Microdiscectomy / Microdecompression
- Pain Management
- Traditional Surgery
What Patients are Saying About Dr. John J. Moossy, MD
Dr. Moossey was by far one of the most professional and knowledgeable doctors I have met in my over 12 year experiance with UPMC doctors. Not only that, I detected a genuine interest and empathy for my condition. If I were to grade him an A double plus would be it. I look foreward to seeing him once again farther down the road.— UPMC Patient
Dr Moossy has been my neurosurgeon for close to 25 years. He has operated on me 6 times. Most of these have been on my spine which have required long surgeries and recoveries. Having to deal with 6 different health conditions from UPMC Specialists, Dr. Moossy is the best one. He cares, has pleasant examining room manners, doesn't rush into surgery unless all else fails, is very empathetic to my circumstances and moreover is an excellent neurosurgeon. I am glad and fortunate to have such an outstanding health care provider to care for my spine. He is the best neurosurgeon that have performed 3 out of my 6 spine surgeries/fusions/implants. In hindsight, I wish that I could have found him sooner to do the first 3. To be candid, I really can't say that about the other 3-5 UPMC specialists. They just don't have the overall qualities of treatment that Dr. Moossy exemplifies.— UPMC Patient
Dr Moosey is the only Neurosurgon I trust. I was injured 13 years ago and have seen 4 surgeons in that time. I have been operated on by others. I was referred to Dr Mossey after a botched surgery where my dura was ruptured and spinal nerves were injured by another surgeon. Dr Mossey has done two surgeries for me now and he is the only doctor I trust to operate on me now. He actually listens to me, answers questions truthfully and I feel is always honest with me. I appreciate that.— UPMC Patient
Dr. Moossy shows genuine interest and care for my health condition. He is always helpful and shows great personal attention for my concerns.— UPMC Patient
Dr Moosey is fantastic. I've seen 4 neurosurgeons in the last twelve years since my original injury. he is the only one who takes the time to answer all of my questions, give me honest answers and who I completely trust to operate on me. I value his honesty, his knowledge and opinions. I will not go to anyone else!!!— UPMC Patient
Dr. Moossy was/is a very professional person yet seems to be understanding and compassionate toward the needs of his patients. He is willing to work WITH me to come to a resolution that is acceptable for both of us. Also, his PA, Kathy is exceptional!!!! She is genuine in her concern for my medical conditions as well as my general well being. When I call for simple medication refills; I don't think I have ever waited longer than 20 minutes for her to call back.— UPMC Patient
Accolades for Dr. John J. Moossy, MD
- Allegheny County Medical Association
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- American Medical Association
- Carroll F. Reynolds History of Medicine Society
- Pennsylvania Medical Association
- Pennsylvania Neurosurgical Society
- Section on Pain of the AANS/CNS
- Section on Disorders of the Spine & Peripheral Nerves of the AANS/CNS
- Section on History of the AANS/CNS
- Board Certified, American Board of Neurological Surgery
Office Information for Dr. John J. Moossy, MD
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Profile last updated: August 8, 2018. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.