The following is a Sponsored Resource.
Meet Dr. Joseph C. Maroon, MD
Dr. Maroon is a board-certified and fellowship-trained neurosurgeon with UPMC Department of Neurosurgery.
He is interested in minimally invasive brain and spine surgery, the prevention and treatment of central nervous system trauma, and caring for inflammatory diseases related to aging.
Dr. Maroon at a Glance
- Dr. Maroon has published hundreds of peer-reviewed papers and has received several honors, including election by his peers as president of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons..
- For a quarter century he served as the team neurosurgeon of the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers.
Dr. Maroon is equipped to help you find lasting relief.
Dr. Maroon is a member of UPMC Department of Neurosurgery.
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. Joseph C. Maroon, MD Can Help You
- Fellowship - University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont
- Residency - Georgetown University, Washington DC
- Residency - Oxford Radcliffe Hospital NHS Trust and Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
- Residency - Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Medical School - Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Brain Tumors
- Chiari Malformation
- Spinal Tumors
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF)
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Sports Medicine
What Patients are Saying About Dr. Joseph C. Maroon, MD
My husband and I saw Dr. Maroon for the first time April 4, 2017. I can't say enough about how Dr. Maroon looked at my MRIs and knew right away what was wrong. He asked my husband to come over and look also, and he explained and pointed out what was wrong. Dr. Maroon said he could fix this and soon as he said that, and my response was, how soon can we do it. Dr. Maroon, is a blessing for me, I have surgery next week, and I can be out of pain...— UPMC Patient
Dr. Maroon and his staff were very efficient with my medical history and my exam. Everything was explained and he even showed me part of my MRI explaining my condition.— UPMC Patient
Dr. Maroon was excellent in describing my medical problem, explaining treatment options from least to most invasive. Homeopathic approach was clinically sound and appropriately conservative.— UPMC Patient
Outstanding, exemplary care, as good or better than I have experienced with other specialists and medical professionals at any time. Superb surgeon, who achieved minimal pain and maximal results.— UPMC Patient
I went to see Dr Maroon as a second opinion for surgery consult and he was AWESOME! He went over everything about what was needed for surgery and exactly why it is was needed along with what is currently happening in my back. And he went above and beyond as he is not in network with my insurance so he recommended a microsurgeon and called and got us in to see him the very same day!— UPMC Patient
I am a diabetic so I have been to many doctors, labs and have had many tests and advice given to me. This was my first visit with this doctor and staff. I was amazed on how awesome EVERYONE interacted with me and the visit went WAY beyond any expectations I had - Kudos to this doctor and staff.— UPMC Patient
Accolades for Dr. Joseph C. Maroon, MD
- Allegheny County Medical Society
- American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Mid-Atlantic Neurosurgical Society
- National Association for Disabled Athletes
- National Football League Physicians Society
- Neurosurgical Society of America
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Pennsylvania Neurosurgical Society
- Research Society of Neurological Surgeons
- Society of Neuroscience
- Neurological Surgery
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
Office Information for Dr. Joseph C. Maroon, MD
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
1600 Coraopolis Heights Road
Coraopolis, PA 15108
Profile last updated: August 8, 2018. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.