At Buffalo Spine Surgery, our goal is to provide comprehensive spine evaluation and care, utilizing the latest available technology and surgical techniques to return our patients to their optimal level of function as quickly as possible.
Dr. Cappuccino, one of the first doctors in the state of New York approved to perform artificial disc replacement, heads a team of professional at Buffalo Spine Surgery. In addition to his cutting edge work with disc replacements, Dr Cappuccino is now performing stem cell therapy for patients with disc disease who will benefit from it.
Dr. Cappuccino obtained his undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering at John Hopkins University, earned his medical doctorate at the University of Buffalo, did a residency in Orthopedic Surgery and returned to John Hopkins to complete specialty training in spine surgery. He is one of the first surgeons to be certified by the American Board of Spine Surgery, and is also board certified as an orthopedic surgeon. He continues to be an investigator in numerous studies and trials dedicated to improving spinal surgery outcomes and technologies. Dr. Cappuccino not only teaches specialized spine surgery techniques internationally, but has operated on five continents as well. He has authored numerous articles and textbook chapters.
Dr. Cappuccino has served as a team physician for the Buffalo Bills for two decades, and is the spine specialist for the Buffalo Bills, the New England Patriots, and the Buffalo Sabres. He has operated on numerous NFL and NHL players from all over the country, in addition to several other high profile professional athletes. He received international attention for his treatment of Bills player Kevin Everett who recovered his motion after Dr. Cappuccino's treatment of his life-threatening and inily paralyzing injury. Dr Cappuccino and Kevin appeared together on Oprah Winfrey's show to discuss his life-changing treatment.
Dr. Cappuccino has been honored as a distinguished alumnus by Johns Hopkins University and the University of Buffalo School of Medicine, as a WNY Community Leader in Healthcare, as Citizen of the Year in Buffalo, as Distinguished Citizen of the Year by the Buffalo Bills alumni, as a Western New York "Health Care Hero" by Business First, by the United States Sports Academy with the Ernest Jokl SPorts Medicine Award, and for multiple successive years as a "TopDoc" in the Castle Connolly National Surveys (elected by his national peers).
Dr. Andrew Cappuccino works at Buffalo Spine Surgery, with offices in the north and south suburbs of Buffalo.
Type of Spine Professional
- Orthopedic Surgeon
Areas of Expertise
- Cervical Spine Disorders
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Degenerative Spinal Conditions
- Herniated Disc / Bulging Disc
- Lumbar Spine Disorders
- Sciatica / Radiculopathy
- Scoliosis and Deformity
- Spinal Stenosis
- Thoracic spine disorders
- Artificial Disc Replacement - Cervical
- Artificial Disc Replacement - Lumbar
- Lower Back Surgery
- Microdiscectomy / Microdecompression
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Neck Surgery
- Scoliosis Surgery
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Spinal Fusion
- Stem Cell Therapies
- Upper Back Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- American Academy of Spinal Surgery
- Spine Surgery Fellowship - John Hopkins with Dr. Paul McAfee
- Johns Hopkins Distinguished Alumnus Award April 2014
- Business First “Health Care Hero”
- “Top Docs” in Castle Connolly Survey 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons-Fellow
- American Board of Spinal Surgery-Charter Diplomate
- American College of Surgeons-Fellow
- American Medical Association
- Cervical Spine Research Society
- Eastern Orthopedic Association
- Medical Society of Erie County
- Medical Society of the State of New York
- National Board of Medical Examiners-Diplomate
- North American Spine Society
- Spinal Arthroplasty Society
- Western New York Orthopedic Society
- National Football League Physician’s Association
- Society of Lateral Access Surgeons- Founding Member