Dr. Paul McAfee, MD, Towson, MD, 21204
A better informed patient gets a better result. As a Fellowship-trained Spine Surgeon, Dr. Paul McAfee spends a lot of time talking to his patients so they can understand their treatment options.
Dr. McAfee's areas of expertise are in spinal reconstructive surgery and general orthopaedics. As Chief, Spinal Reconstructive Surgery, St. Joseph Medical Center Towson, Maryland, Dr. McAfee is a respected leader in spinal surgery and is recognized as one of the pioneers in the field of disk replacement, having performed more than 200 motion-preservation procedures in 10 countries and having invented a cervical disk replacement. His early pioneering work on CT scans for burst fractures led to a better understanding of implant behavior first with Harrington rods and, subsequently, with many other devices. He and his lab have set the standard on biomechanical testing of implant and construct performance. More recently, they have done pioneering work on disk endplate interface behavior and the effects of wear debris around the spine.
Dr. Paul McAfee is an Orthopedic Surgeon at Towson Orthopaedic Associates.
Type of Spine Care Professional
- Orthopedic Surgeon
Areas of Expertise
- Cervical Spine Disorders
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Herniated Disc / Bulging Disc
- Neck Pain
- Sciatica / Radiculopathy
- Scoliosis and Deformity
- Spinal Stenosis
- Sports Injuries
- Microdiscectomy / microdecompression
- Spinal Fusion
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, certified July 1986, re-certified 1996
- Spinal Fellowship Director and Chief of Spinal Surgery at St. Joseph's Hospital
- Educator of many medical devices
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Cervical Spine Research Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
- North American Spine Society