Dr. Alan Villavicencio is a neurosurgeon and senior partner at Boulder Neurosurgical & Spine Associates, a private practice in Colorado. He specializes in complex spinal reconstructive surgery, spinal deformities, and minimally invasive surgery.
Dr. Villavicencio is actively involved in research. He has contributed chapters to textbooks and written numerous articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals, such as Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, and Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques. He has presented hundreds of abstracts at neurosurgical meetings and served as the principal investigator for several clinical trials.
He has founded multiple organizations, including an annual neurosurgical symposium, which gathers over 200 physicians, and a non-profit neurological institute that conducts and shares research.
Select Professional Memberships and Achievements
- Fellow, American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Member, North American Spine Surgery
- Member, Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Member, Colorado Neurosurgical Society
- Member, AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
- BA – University of California San Diego
- MD – Harvard Medical School
- Internship – General Surgery, Duke University Medical Center
- Residency – Neurological Surgery, Duke University Medical Center
- Fellowship – Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA