Meet Dr. H.R. Abbasi, MD, PhD, FACS, FAANS
Dr. Abbasi is a board-certified neurosurgeon with Midwest Brain & Spine Institute in Alexandria, MN.
He specializes in treating complex lumbar and thoracic spine conditions, providing patients cutting-edge, minimally invasive spine surgery.
Dr. Abbasi at a Glance
- Holding both an MD and PhD, he applies deep neurosurgical knowledge as he trains and educates fellow surgeons in the latest minimally invasive spine surgery techniques.
- Dr. Abbasi was among the first of 30 surgeons in the United States to perform the groundbreaking Oblique Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (OLLIF) procedure.
- He continues to be a leader in minimally invasive spinal fusions, performing the highest number of reported procedures to date. He published 5 clinical studies on the positive outcomes for patients.
Join Dr. Abbasi for advanced solutions in spine care.
We are here to help you get your life back and LIVE without your back pain. Let us help you find relief from your symptoms regardless of the severity. Our goal is to allow you to return to your normal life as soon as possible.
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. H.R. Abbasi, MD, PhD, FACS, FAANS Can Help You
- Spine Surgeon
Years in Practice
- 15 Years
- University of Heidelberg Medical School: 1989-1996
- Residency, Neurosurgery Clinic - Mannheim of the University Heidelberg: 1996-1998
- Research Associate: Stanford Medical School, Department of Neurosurgery: 1999-2001
- Residency, University of Texas Medical Branch: 2002-2008
- Acute Pain
- Cervical Spine Disorders
- Chronic Pain
- Complex Spinal Disorders
- Degenerative Spinal Conditions
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
- Herniated Disc / Bulging Disc
- Lower Back Pain
- Lumbar Spine Disorders
- Neck Pain
- Osteoporosis / Spinal Fracture
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
- Sciatica / Radiculopathy / Leg Pain
- Scoliosis and Deformity
- Spinal Stenosis
- Thoracic Spine Disorders
- Upper Back Pain
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion
- Diagnostic Testing
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- Facet Joint Injections / Blocks
- Injections / Blocks
- Kyphoplasty / Vertebroplasty
- Medial Branch Nerve Blocks
- Microdiscectomy / Microdecompression
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Neck / Cervical Spine Surgery
- OLLIF - Oblique Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
- Sacroiliac Joint Injections / Blocks
- Scoliosis Surgery
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Spinal Fusion
- Spine Surgery
What Patients are Saying About Dr. H.R. Abbasi, MD, PhD, FACS, FAANS
Dr. Abbasi performed a spinal fusion on my L3-L/5 in Nov of 2016. My experience has been excellent. He has a great bedside manner. It's important to him you understand the procedure and he is very patient answering questions. Even though I had two previous back surgeries in the 1990's resulting in scar tissue, I was able to have the minimally invasion procedure Dr. Abbasi has perfected. The difference in my recovery now compared to two decades ago is amazing! I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Abbasi!— K.M.
Dr Abbasi explains what he finds, is going to do and what to expect, very well. He spends time with his patients. The work he did on my back went very well. I recommend him.— Annon.
Dr. Abbasi has the best bedside manner I have experienced. Not only in his office, but in the hospital as well. He made me feel very comfortable about the decision to have back surgery. He was very thorough in explaining everything from the beginning of appointments with him, all testing and results, and follow up appointments. I have already recommended him to a couple of acquaintances.— C.G.
Accolades for Dr. H.R. Abbasi, MD, PhD, FACS, FAANS
- North American Spine Society
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- The Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- World Federation of Neurological Societies
- The European Association of Neurological Societies
- International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
- Walter Dandy Neurological Society
- Board Certified American Board of Neurological Surgery, 2001
Office Information for Dr. H.R. Abbasi, MD, PhD, FACS, FAANS
6600 MN 29 S
Alexandria, MN 56308
Monday 8:00 - 4:30
Tuesday 8:00 - 4:30
Wednesday 8:00 - 4:30
Thursday 8:00 - 4:30
Friday 8:00 - 4:30
- American Family Insurance
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- Health Net
- Health Partners
- State Farm
- UnitedHealth Group
- All Major Minnesota Health Insurances
Profile last updated: July 20, 2018. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.