For patients experiencing back pain during pregnancy, chiropractic may provide effective pain relief with just a few simple treatments. For example:
- Manipulation or adjustment of the pelvis has provided relief and restored function for 91% of patients studied.3
To assist the effect of this type of treatment, your chiropractor or medical provider may recommend:
- Easy stretching exercise routines
- A pelvic support belt.
Low Back Pain Relief after Pregnancy
Additionally, the pain usually subsides soon after delivery of the baby. Over the six-week period following delivery, the pelvic ligaments regain their rigidity and are better able to support normal weight bearing and motion during normal daily activities.
In This Article:
Importance of Treating Lower Back Pain
Remember, the good news is that appropriate treatment can help provide significant back pain relief during the pregnancy and, importantly, minimize the chances of having chronic back pain in the lower back after the pregnancy.
- Berg G, Hammar M, Moller-Nielsen J, Linden U, Throbald JL: Low back pain during pregnancy. Obstetrics and Gynecology 71 (1): 71-5, 1988.
- Gariola DM, Tarver RD, Gibson L. Togers RE, Wase JL: Anatomic changes in the pelvis after uncomplicated vaginal delivery: a CT study on 14 women. American Journal of Roentgenology 153 (6): 1239-41, 1989.
- Daly JM, Frames PS, Rapoze PA: Sacroiliac subluxation: a common, treatable cause of low-back pain in pregnancy. Family Practice Research Journal 11(2): 149-51,1991.