In This Article:
- Update on Artificial Disc Replacement (Research Article)
- What Are the Indications for Artificial Disc Replacement?
- What Is the Make-Up of Artificial Discs?
Artificial disc products that are in development or in use are typically intended for use in patients with the following indications:
- Diagnosis of degenerative disc disease (typically at a single level)
- Are between the ages of 18 and 60
- Suffer from low back pain as the major complaint (rather than leg pain)
- Have not responded to a minimum of six months of nonsurgical treatments (such as physical therapy, pain medications)
- Are candidates for spine surgery (such as a lumbar fusion)
Overall, the current indications for implantation of an artificial disc are quite similar to indications for lumbar spine fusion.