Articles Related to this Video:
4 Easy Stretches for Neck and Shoulder Pain
- Keeping the shoulders back, bring the chin toward the chest by bending the head straight forward. A slight stretch will be felt in the back of the neck.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds.
Lateral Flexion Stretch
- Start in an upright, standing position.
- Keeping the shoulders even, bring one ear toward the shoulder by bending the head to one side. A slight stretch will be felt in the side of the neck.
- Hold for 15 to 30 seconds then repeat on the other side.
Levator Scapula Stretch
- Stand straight, raise the right hand and elbow, and place it on a nearby wall or door jamb.
- While keeping everything else still, rotate the head to the left about 45° (which is about halfway toward the shoulder).
- Tilt the chin downward to the left collarbone until a good stretch is felt on the back right side of the neck.
- Hold for 30 to 60 seconds, or as tolerated. Repeat on the other side.
- Face the corner of a room or a doorway.
- Position both feet together, about 2 feet away from the corner.
- Place a forearm on each wall (or door jamb) with the elbows slightly below shoulder height.
- Lean forward until a good stretch is felt across the chest and shoulders. If any pain is felt, the stretch can be reduced or stopped altogether.
- Hold the stretch 30 to 60 seconds and repeat 3 to 5 times.