In This Article:
- Sciatica Exercises for Sciatica Pain Relief
- Sciatica Causes and Exercises
- Exercise for Sciatica from a Herniated Disc
- Exercise for Sciatica from Spinal Stenosis
- Exercise for Sciatica from Degenerative Disc Disease
- Exercise for Sciatica from Isthmic Spondylolisthesis
- Stretches and Exercise for Sciatic Pain from Piriformis Syndrome
- Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Exercises for Sciatic Pain
- Sciatica Causes and Treatments Video
- Slideshow: 9 Exercises for Sciatica Pain Relief
Sciatica is when a patient is suffering from impingement or pressure on the nerve which causes pain to go down the extremities, oftentimes to the foot. This can be caused by one of several things. It could be caused by a herniated disc. It can be caused by spinal stenosis, which is a tightening of the spinal canal. It can be caused by a spondylolisthesis, which is the slip of one vertebra on another. Or pretty much anything that puts pressure on a nerve that causes pain down the leg. Other things that may include may be a tumor, a growth, an infection, a cancer, etcetera.
One treats the initial onset of sciatica conservatively, and by that I mean simple things such as ice in the first twenty-four to forty-eight hours, heat thereafter, the next forty-eight hours perhaps. The heat increasing circulation to the area, getting away some of the matabolites. The cold helping with some of the pain. In addition to which, we often use certain over-the-counter medications which include things like Tylenol, Advil, or Aleve. Certain amount of exercise is necessary. We do not believe in bed rest for more than twenty-four, maximum forty-eight hours. Exercise should be non-weight bearing, such as stationary bicycle or swimming pool – something that does not put excess stress on the affected area. Occasionally surgery is necessary. Prior to surgery, one must make a definitive diagnosis, however – what is going on – this will often require an MRI scan, a myelogram, or a myelogram followed by a CT scan. Initially, if there isn’t a dangerous problem occurring, one will consider what’s called an epidural steroid injection or a selective nerve block, both of which you can learn more about on other parts of Spine-health.