Dr. Stephen Hochschuler is an orthopedic surgeon and co-founder of the Texas Back Institute. He specializes in the lumbar spine and has been a practicing spine surgeon for over 40 years.
A leader in medical research, Dr. Hochschuler has written numerous articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals such as The Spine Journal, Spine, and Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, and he has delivered hundreds of presentations at medical conferences nationally and internationally.
Dr. Hochschuler is actively involved in patient education. He founded one of the first back schools to educate patients about spine care, and he has edited and contributed to dozens of books on back conditions and treatments. Dr. Hochschuler is also a founding Medical Advisor for Veritas Health, providing oversight to ensure the accuracy and quality of its articles.
Select Professional Memberships and Achievements
- Former President, Spine Arthroplasty Society
- Former President, International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
- Founder, Spine Division at the Veterans Administration
- Founding Member, American Board of Spine Surgery
- Member, North American Spine Society
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, American Pain Society
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- MD – Harvard Medical School
- Internship – Harvard Surgical Service, Boston City Hospital
- Residency – General Surgery, Harvard Surgical Service, Boston City Hospital
- Residency – Orthopedic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School