Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about breast feeding/PG after fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody,
I am currently breast feeding my 10 month old and going to be having L4/L5 fusion within a couple months. If I pump up a supply for a week or so for during/after surgery will I be able to nurse him again soon? Or will I need pain meds for too long? I do not want to wean him before a year, so will I be able to tough it out and not do meds for too long? Also, will I be able to get PG again in a year or two? And will I be able to have an epidural to block the pain during labor? All these questions for AFTER fusion surgery. Thanks
Jaime
advertisement

Comments

• you'll need to be on pain meds for awhile following surgery, usually more than two months. As far a getting pregnant you'd have to ask your doctor about that as Im sure they'll want to make sure you have a solid fusion first.

Christina :)
  • Jamie, really you will not want to be breast feeding after the surgery. It takes a lot after you to start with and you will be needing all your recovery for yourself. Even if you dont need pain meds (be very suprised if you dont), it takes a long time for the anesthetic to leave your system completely and you dont want to be giving that to the baby. So pump what you can now -keep it for emergencys and start to wean so the baby is on bottles before your surgery.

This way also if you have a bad day when you get home someone can take the baby for the day and you dont have to be worrying about the feeding.

You will have to check with the Doc about the other questions but I can imagine that he/she would want you to be really fit and fused before falling again especially if you have a toddler who will want to be picked up as well.

Time to take care of yourself so you can be there for the family later. :)
    Blessings Sara
  • Jaime , this is a tough one. I completely understand wanting to continue to breastfeed your child until he reaches a year old but it may not be possible. Please do discuss this with your doctor. 2 weeks supply will probably not be enough but like I said speak with your doctor about it. Just know that if you do stop that atleast he has had 10 months of breastfeeding and that has given him a huge headstart and has done his body a ton of good. Please keep us posted as to what you end up doing and if you ever want to talk or vent then shoot me a PM...I too had to stop breastfeeding my son way before I wanted to and it was a hard thing to go through. So sweetie , you are not alone in this. Take care....Miki
  • Hi Jamie,

It certainly is a tricky one. I can't advise on the fusion as I only had MicroD, but it was when I was breastfeeding my 6 month old and I didn't want to stop either. The anaesthetist advised that the mix he'd given me would be OK for the baby after 18 hours or so. He warned the baby might be a little sleepier than ususal after the first couple of feeds but he would suffer no ill effects. The pain meds he gave me were also compatible with nursing.

Talk it over with your Doc or ask to speak to the anaesthestist as to what they would do if you were still feeding, if you tell them you might wean they might try to push you into it but if you say you aren't going to they might come up with a solution.

The only thing I would worry about even if the meds issue gets sorted is that you physically wont be able to pump your milk after the op as you might be too sore then you risk getting a blocked duct and your little one might have to be weaned suddenly which is harder on them than a slow reduction.

How many feeds are you doing per day? I aimed to feed both of mine for a year but they both self weaned around 11 months.

Even if you have to wean you have done an amazing job getting this far and I think you need to make sure you will be able to cope post-op, but as I don't know what your recovery will be like I can't really advise one way or the other.

Let us know what you decide, its an emotional decision at the best of times without major surgery being involved!

Cheeka
advertisement