Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introduce myself? Sure, why not.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all, I came accross this site quite by accident but I'm so glad I did. I'm a 57 y/o male living in the northeast corner of Georgia practically on the South Carolina line. I have been dealing with chronic low back pain since the mid 70's and have run the gamut of therapies, treatments, medications, exercises and various doctors and practicianers. I drove a tractor trailer cross country for decades till I got to the point in 2004 where I couldn't climb up into cab any more. I have been on SSD since summer 2006. In 2004 I finally broke down and in desperation saw a medical doctor for my back pain. Long story short(er) I had a lamanectomy/fusion at L3,4,5 which turned out to be semi-sucessful. The result was I was no longer falling but the pain never got better and in fact has progressively worsened. In April 2006 after 2 yrs of dealing with a multitude of pain killers I had an intrathecal pump implanted that dispensed morphine sulphate and marcaine. This was just changed to fentanyl last week and unfortunately I've been flirting with withdrawal ever since. I'll be going back to the clinic later this afternoon to have the pump output increased.
I have battled the usual battles connected with chronic pain and long term narcotic use most notably depression. I have tried to find outlets for myself to keep both mind and body busy. I volunteer with the local humane society doing what ever I can given my physical limitations. I find that helping the helpless and giving of myself does more to relieve pain and depression than anything I can find in a doctors office. I look forward to contributing to this online community and hope to get to know as many of you all as possible.
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ">image
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Sometimes good medicine and pain control comes in the form of helping others, discussing various situations and experiences. We welcome you to the Spine-Health site and look forward to hearing from you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. what a blessing you are to so many helpless creatures. i spent many years working in Mexico with horses and cows hit by cars as well as dogs left neglected in nearby towns. there is no relief like that of a warm set of arms and a low, loving voice. i have a dog from the pound now and she is the best friend ever. it seems like you have tried everything for pain relief and have now reached outside yourself. good luck and i hope you find some comfort here on the forum! Jenny :)
  • Chig from one Georgian to another. You have come to the perfect place for support and understanding. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and if I can ever help you with anything then please just let me know. Take care...Miki
  • I can vouch for the hospitality of Spine Health and of those from Georgia! Welcome, I'm glad that you stumbled across us.

"C"

P.S. I'm not from Georgia, but one of my best friend's is!
  • would be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As if you couldn't tell from our avatars..... :))
  • I don't know Miki, that sure doesn't look like you with sunglasses on! =)) Plus that sure doesn't look like Georgia in those pictures! =)) And it sure as heck doesn't look like Okinawa. We must be dreaming. =))

Who better to have a good laugh with, then a great friend!!!
  • Welcome to spine health

Christina :)
  • I am so sorry to hear of your years of suffering and hope that you find relief soon. I already know that you have a good heart by helping out helpless animals. I will look forward to seeing you around the forum.
    BTW - My sister and brother in law are team drivers and my sister is also having severe back issues that are just about to force her off the road and get it looked in to.
  • very true my friend and you are so right that wasn't Georgia or Okinawa but it was D.C. when we had our wonderful trip there along with the Jesster.....great times indeed with alot of wonderful memories to last a lifetime.... =D>
  • I have belonged to a couple other online support groups and am even a moderator on one of them. I had been looking though for some new friends and fresh perspectives.The various online groups all have distinct personalities. You all seem so genuine and friendly here and I look forward to our discussions in the future. I will post a little later on and tell of some of the specifics and what has given relief and what has made thingds worse. It feels sometimes like I'm stuck in the center of an avalanche that keeps growing and growing and since the big toes connected to the ankle bone and so on, I'm in far worsr overall health than I was when I finally surrendered and wanted to get better. The psychological aspects of our living in chronic many times are worse than the initial injury or complaint. I'm trying to figure out how to invite folks onto my buddie list. Any help will be arrpeciated

Chig in GA
  • chig- welcome to site. It is good to read that you volunteer at the humane society. My animals like me no matter how I look or feel and I am their hero and protector. If they only knew how weak I feel alot of times.... :) jade
  • I admire your attitude. I, too, suffer from chronic pain and depression. I'm so proud of you for having found an outlet of distraction in helping with your humane society. I help with mine as well but in limited ways. I'm glad you're here. I was on the old site and gained many "lighter days" from my spiney friends. Keep doin' what you're doin' and have a better day. :)

Makin' It
  • :S I just stumbled up on this website. I was looking for someone to help me. I have been in some serious pain for the last 15 yrs. It started when I was on the job, but didnot go for help for almost 10 yrs until I couldn't take it any more. I have herniated disc at L4,L5,L8,L9. The doctor put me on bedrest and gave me pain meds. This was in 1994. Was on Darvocet for 3 months but still had to work. After that I didn't go back to the doctor. He did me no good so I suffered for years until 2003. November that year Had a car accident was rear ended. I got a whiplash the doctor referred me to a chiropracter it helped alot did alot of therapy on my neck. He ordered an MRI on my neck thats when I found out C5,6,7 were bad the therapy was going really good then in March 2004 4 months after my first accident I had ANOTHER ONE same thing rear ended well needless to say I had to go bck to thereapy This time the doctor put me on darvon 100mg and muscle relaxer Zanaflex which worked wonders and I am still on zanaflex 4mg 3x daily
    . The pain management doctor put me on morphine 30mg 3 times a day . Then the doc ordered an EMG and a Mylogram and found out I had cervical spinal stenosis so I had surgery in Oct. that year a cervical 5-6-7 Anterior Cervical Diskectomy w/ spinal fusion and instrumentation. That was in 2005. Then my husband and I went on a cruise in2006 and When I got home my hands were goingnumb and tingeling. Went to the doctor My C-7 bone was broke into so he had to schedule more surgery because I wanted to be tough and carry some luggage from to cruiseship into the port of Maimi FL :( From then on I have had chronic pain. Now I am taking 600mg of Neurontin, Loritab 10/500 3xdaily prozac 40 mg1x daily, wellbutrin 150 2x daily Effexor XR-75mg1x daily and a anti-diabetes metforman500mg2xdaily. I seems like I always take to much but my family does not know what I go through.
    Now I just scheduled surgery for Oct. 22 which is in 3 weeks, so I need a lot of support between now and then the syrgery is Cervical 4-5 Anterior Cervical Disctectomy w/spinal fusion and instrumentation. Hopefully I will not be in so much pain. Between now and then we will be going camping almost everyday until then.
    I am a 51 yr old lady with a lot of back and neck pain ~X(
  • Hey I need some advce. I was cut off by my PM about 2 weeks ago. I had a few months where things were faling at my house and neede to be repaired and I couldnt afford to go to him. While I was not going to him I borrowed my husbands meds. Yea I know that is a mistake. Apparently my body doesnt metabolize the meds very fast and the meds were still in my system. My question is this- can he just tell me he isnt going to treat me anymore and doesnt he have to treat me until I get a new PM. I am in GA.
advertisement