Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WHAT IS GOING ON NOW!!??!!?? Help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,
For those who do not know me, I had a fusion at L5/S1 June 5 then on June 17 had a second surgery due to staph infection.
Right now I have been having the EXACT same pain I had before surgery. The pain that shoots down my left leg into my ankle causing me to just buckle. The pain was gone finally after surgery and in the last week it has returned. WHY!!??!!?? What is going on? I am very worried!! I see my doc again Aug. 22 so I will let him know what is going on. But this pain is brought on by nothing, I could be in bed all day long and as soon as I get up BAM! I have it. I could be walking and BAM! I can be in the shower and BAM! So what I am getting at is this doesn't seem to be brought on by over doing it. It is intermitted (spelled wrong) just like before surgery, it comes and goes, but I always have a back ache and pain that is in my butt cheek to my thigh left side. That pain is always there, the shooting pain to my ankle is the intermitted part.
Oh my gosh I am so scared now, what could this possibly mean? My L4/L5 disc was slightly bulged prior to surgery and it wasn't worked on, could this have possibly ruptured or bulged even more?
Any help would be appriciated!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so so much!!
Veronica :''( #o :S
advertisement

Comments

• Hi

Only a few days to go to see the doctor, so stay strong and I'm sure he'll have the answer.

Thinking of you

Snoops
  • You sound like your very scared and completely understandable. There could be several reasons for the pain. Seems like you have already been threw alot w your fusion, I know I have been there to many times. !st of all you have lots of imflamition at 2months post op and I'm sure you can't take NSAIDS if there is bone graft. cause if you do you won' fuse they do stop the bone from growing, it sounds like you may be at the honeymoon period of your surgery where its painfull for awhile, for me it was part of the healing process. Try to keep you mind off the worst it will only freak you out and make it worse stress slows the healing process. I knew nothing bout what a spinal fusion or bout the healing process or what different pains meant my 1st few surgeries, but I did have Extremely Urgent surgery for a disc that ruptured and your sounds like nerve pain, but the question is where is the pain.

Thankfully you have a Dr. apt real soon. There is where you can get the real answers I can give you any advise for only what I have experienced and try to help with understanding a little. you may pm me and ask what you like.

I have been threw 3 lumbar fusions2-2006, 4-2006, & 2-2008, 2 disc 1-2006, 12-2007, 1 cervical fusion 10-2006, and 2 carpal tunnel 6&9-2007 surgeries all in 2 years of time. And I had just had my 3rd child 4 months before my 1st emergency surgery. And I was only 28

Paula
  • You sound like your very scared and completely understandable. There could be several reasons for the pain. Seems like you have already been threw alot w your fusion, I know I have been there to many times. !st of all you have lots of imflamition at 2months post op and I'm sure you can't take NSAIDS if there is bone graft. cause if you do you won' fuse they do stop the bone from growing, it sounds like you may be at the honeymoon period of your surgery where its painfull for awhile, for me it was part of the healing process. Try to keep you mind off the worst it will only freak you out and make it worse stress slows the healing process. I knew nothing bout what a spinal fusion or bout the healing process or what different pains meant my 1st few surgeries, but I did have Extremely Urgent surgery for a disc that ruptured and your sounds like nerve pain, but the question is where is the pain.

Thankfully you have a Dr. apt real soon. There is where you can get the real answers I can give you any advise for only what I have experienced and try to help with understanding a little. you may pm me and ask what you like.

I have been threw 3 lumbar fusions2-2006, 4-2006, & 2-2008, 2 disc 1-2006, 12-2007, 1 cervical fusion 10-2006, and 2 carpal tunnel 6&9-2007 surgeries all in 2 years of time. And I had just had my 3rd child 4 months before my 1st emergency surgery. And I was only 28

Paula
  • Breathe!!!!!!!

I know that is easier said then done but it really, really helps. LOL

AS you have the appointment very soon I would suggest that you phone the Surgeon in advance and see if you can get a scan done before you see him. Is that possible?
    In the meantime there is nothing you can do and it does sound like it can be just post op adjustments.
    Dont stress yourself out as there is nothing you can do till you see the Doc then you can come back here and tell us that he told you all was fine! :)))

Blessings Sara
  • Yes, call the Dr. and get an MRI or something to look at before the apt.

Also, I think, because the location of the pain and the fact that you can describe it so clearly will really help pinpoint the offending disc.

At least the 22nd isn't too far away - I feel so bad for you - hang in there.
  • I'm so sorry to hear about this increase in pain levels again. I agree with the others, call your surgeon's office before Friday and see if they might be able to get you a scan before you see them. Hopefully then your appointment will be more useful.

I hope it turns out just to be a blip in your recovery. Let us know how you go on Friday. Take care, Spicey
  • Hello,
    My doctor said that due to my scolious, (spelled wrong) and the fusion, that it is putting that much more pressure on my left side causing the ligament to swell and press on the nerves. Whew!
    He gave me a script for some steriods, well not some, a lot! ha ha.
    He took X-rays and everything there looked good, still no fusing going on yet though.
    So I will start PT I have to call Monday to get set up, 3 times a week.
    Thank you everyone for your responses!!
    Veronica
  • Hi Veronica, I am glad to hear your appt went well, and that doc seems to know cause of new sxs. I hope the steroids will help. It is good news you get to start PT, this may also help immensely with this left sided pressure. Was the doc concerned with no fusion yet? Do you
    have a BGS(bone growth stimulator)? I have to wear one for 30 minutes a day for 9 months. My NS gives them to all his fusion patients (says he likes to throw in everything AND the kitchen sink). I don't go for first xray for 6 weeks yet, but I am very interested in all things fusion :) Good-Luck, Sue
advertisement