Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on Micro Discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Hello guys, Bit of an update and a few questions................................................................. Finally got my date for my op for 4th September, scared but pleased Ive now got a date, Having a microdiscectomy for L5/L4 S1. Trying to sort out after care as I live on my own with my 12 year old daughter, so some questions:-

Will they put a catheter in me?
How soon will I be on my feet and able to walk?
How long am I likely to be in hospital for?
Im in the UK if this is any help.

Thanks, any info would be gladly received

Sally xxx
advertisement

Comments

• Glad that you have a date set.About after surgery care.I live in the States,but it is the same procedure,right.
    So,I started walking a few hours after surgery.Was in the hosp over night.No catheters.
    The sooner you start walking the better,but use caution.You'll need help for a week or so since your range of motion will be limited.Remember to avoid bending,twisting and lifting.
    If you have more questions,I might have more answers. ;))

Cheers,G.
  • I live in the US also. I went home the day after my microD. I had the surgery around 3 in the afternoon and went home around noon the next day.

As far as the catheter goes I woke up without one in me and was able to get up and go to the bathroom in the hospital about an hour after I woke up. Just be sure they help you go to the bathroom and show you how to roll out of bed properly with your back brace on so as not to bend your back.
  • Thanks guys, thats really helpful. The hospital have said I will need to stay in a minimum of 2 nights and then Im going to stay at my friends for a few days. If I think of anymore questions I will get back on here, Thanks
  • hi there i am in uk. Monday I had my surgery and you have to lie flat on your back all day and night proceeding surgery. Next day the physiotherapist gets you up and shows you how to move . Then you are allowed to go home with your medicines etc. You have to get some one to change your dressing every day till the 5th day when a district nurse has to come in and check your wound and remove clips . I did not have clips mine will dissolve so depends on what your surgeon reccomends. Not sure your daughter can change the dressing, so you will have to tell them for a nurse to come in daily.

It is different in states so don't go by what they tell you. You must not do anything for first few days just the exercises 4 times a day and rest . You will feel tired a lot and certainly your daughter will have to look after her self for a while. Hope that helps don't worry you will be fine okay. You will have to wear stockings that they will give you to prevent blood clots. I like them keep you warm.
    The first night of operation have every pain killer you can take that i promise will be the worst , then you will be okay , I am not in pain at minute just back hurts where wond is thats all . Good luck you will be fine . zolenniaq
  • on how recovery goes. You may need to prepare not to be able to twist and use tissue after bowel movement. You may need an extra reach thing since you will not be able to pick underwear up off floor, etc. Good luck and I hope that it goes as well for you as the others that posted.
  • Im getting really nervous now!!!!!! Will they put a catheter in me??? I have been told they will keep me in for a minimum of 2 nights so hopefully they will let me go soon after that. Weird thing is the lower back pain and leg pain is not as bad as it has been?!?!?!?! but still got numbness in my left bum cheek and back of my left left and 2 toes. Keep taking tablets for a urine infection but have a funny feelings my bladder is playing up in connection with my numbness??? Anyone else have any ideas on this????
  • I live in MI. I didn't have a catheter, but wished that I would have! I had to wait until my brace was delivered at the hospital before I was allowed to move about. SO in the mean time, I had to use a bed pan. That was SO embarrassing. I went in on Monday and came home Tuesday. My sciatica is about 85% gone. I still have the numbness, but that is a small price to pay. The difference is like night and day.

Good Luck!
advertisement