Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NON SURGICAL SPINAL DECOMPRESSION

Precious BamaPPrecious Bama Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone tried this decompression machine. They got my number and called me yesterday. I have a free appt. I have been told i need spinal fusion at L4-5 and L5-s1.
Appreciate your comments.
Brenda
advertisement

Comments

• I agree with Paul, I would approach this with great caution and skepticism. You want to be sure that you don't end up hurting yourself even more. It is a good idea to discuss this with your doctor. If it is harmless, he may tell you to go ahead and try it, knowing that after that you'll be back to see him . But he may knows enough about it to warn you about any possible harm. I know it is tempting to try anything to avoid surgery but be very careful.

Kin
  • If this non surgical method is so good, why arent more people using it? As far as having a free appointment to get you in...I think you get what you pay for. They could possible damage your spine more.

Ask your doctor.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • There is one traction table system called "VAX-D".
    I tried that one.
    It actually helped me, but only for short amounts of time after the treatments.
    It was worth a shot. If I had to do it all over again, I would try it again before surgery.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Is it the DRX 9000? There is a local chiro who is always advertising this here in my city. I hear they try to get you to sign up for a course of treatment that costs like $5000 for 20 visits. The machine stretches you in an attempt to create negative pressure in the discs which helps to rehydrate them. I guess there has been some success stories. I also have heard that an inversion table does the same thing. I tried inversion without success, but didn't stick with it cause I started getting terrible sinus headaches. My NS said I could try DRX 9000, but then I found out my spine was unstable and it is contraindicated in unstable spondylolisthesis. Good luck, Sue
  • Brenda, One of the things I love most is being in the water. There is no pressure on your spine and it is wonderful.
    What I did for a long time was put weights on my ankles and get in the pool, then I would hold a noodle around my back and under my arms to keep me afloat and just "hang there' n the deep end.
    It felt just like I imagine a stretching/inversion table would but without any pressure.

Blessings Sara

• My physical therapist said she does not favor inversion tables and some other decompression "machines" because they don't affect just the area where your problem is, and they can sometimes create other problems. However, there are some systems that do a decompression only at a specific area, which she said is OK. She said the effectiveness also depends on the details of your problem. And, it likely won't "fix" anything, just give temporary pain relief (like many other therapies), but that may be good enough for you. I have not tried any of these systems, but did consider the idea.

I strongly suggest you talk to your doctor and a physical therapist about the specific machine you're considering.

I also agree that a free trial is probably just a lure to try to get you into something costly and you should be wary.
  • My physiotherpaist tried a decompression on me - it felt wonderful while I was being 'stretched', but as soon as I was released I had incredible agonizing pain! It took me an hour to just get off the table!! Every movement was excruciating. I sometimes wonder if I got more damaged from that.

After that apt. the physio sent me to my NS.
  • Hello All,

I have L345 Herniated w/S1 severe sciatica. I am in excellent shape, 45, with no other medical history. This is my second time with severe sciatica. I did NOT work on the core exercises after I healed the first time! I felt great and believed it would never come back at least in the same manner. The body does heal itself as I witnessed last year (after 8 weeks of non weight bearing) meaning lying on my stomach with pelvis elevated (pillows propped under) and icing, icing, icing and stretching...

I have not had epidural shots. I have tried many heavy meds which non have touched the pain. We saw an add in the newspaper suggesting Non Surgical Spinal Decompression with excellent results. My doc told me I had nothing to loose...So, I have tried this "machine chair" now 3 times without any relief at all...$1800 for 10 sessions out of pocket as insurance will not cover this treatment.. I cannot stand up straight without having to crawl to relief the pain. I do know worse case, I will be able to walk again within 8-10 weeks as the nerve does regenerate and heal on its own.. I hope and pray that this does not do more damage then what is already there...
  • I am going through Spinal Decompression now. #10 of 20 scheduled appointments. I too, am a healthy adult (fitness instructor actually so i need to stay fit) ... I also came back from a disc bulge, only to re injure myself again, and back where I was - with back pain and sciatica.

All that said - the spinal decom is my final attempt to get this thing under control. If not, I see a discectomy in my future. Not much relief from the decomp after 10 visits, but they say it takes 15 or so before I will see results. We'll see. Everybody is different though.

Best of luck - I'll let you know how I feel after my 20 sessions of decomp.
    Scott Giles
advertisement