Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back pain

dorothyddorothy Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
hi, I have a couple of posts under pain meds but I also
wanted to post here. I was at the market and unloading
my groceries in my trunk. I lifted a shopping bag and the handle broke and as I lifted it, I got the worst spasms
in my lower back. I also get a sharp pain in my right
buttock and it even hurts when I walk. My acupuncturist
says that the nerve is in the right buttock and that's why
it hurts when it flares up. I've also gotton pain in
my left buttock but not as severe. I get so afraid when
I get the spasms because I never know when they will
happen. They're so painful. I have a mess of problems
in my spine and back. I've been seeing a PM dr. for a
few months and had 2 nerve blocks. They gave me just a
little relief. As I posted in the arthritis section,
it's difficult to see the PM dr. now unless you have
a procedure done. He wants his patients to see his
physician assistant for meds. I saw her once and I
don't know if I should look for another dr. Any advice-
do all PM drs. only see patients for procedures? Anyway,
I just started baclofen and I just took 10mg about 1 and
a half hours before I had the spasms. I am supposed to take
2-20mg a day so I will increase and see if they help.
I also take 1 celebrex a day and 2 50mg tram a day.
Sorry for the long post. This is such a great support
group. Thanks for listening. I have facet joint disease,
DDD, osteoarthritis in my spine and back. also a dessicated
disc at L5.

advertisement

Comments

• I have many of the same problems that you have and can definately relate to the pain. I see my PM doc for my meds but I have already been through all of the injections and even surgery. Are the prescribed meds helping you at all? If the PA is not able to get your pain under control I would seek a new doc. Most times it takes some stronger pain meds than you are taking and I know that PA;s do not have the authority to write the scripts. I personally do not like seeing PA's because I figure if I am paying for a docs visit, than I want a real doc. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
  • :) hi! your pm doctor is there to do procedures and give medications. meds can often be done with the nurses assistant and give the doctor more time for treatments. the doctor is well aware of what she is doing and has to sign off on the scripts. you could always look for a new doctor if you don't like that procedure but i think it is followed alot. regardless, if you are not being treated as you wish then by all means look around. this is your life we are talking about and meds and a caring doctor can make all the difference. Jenny :)
  • I kicked off my shoes and I can feel a pain in the middle
    of my right buttock. If I press on it, I can feel the soreness all the way to my right hip. I also have some pain in my right upper thigh. When I get this kind of pain,
    I usually wind up with spasms in my lower back-in the
    middle-just above my waist. Can anybody relate to this
    kind of pain? It also happens at other times-like getting
    into my car or even out. You're all been so kind. Thanks.
  • not to affend because everyone has the right to select a dr of their choice, but i have a problem with acupuncturist especially when it comes to buttock pain. buttock pain usually means that you have a pinched nerve from a herniated disk. it could also be something else, this is referred to as sciatic pain. it can mean that your disk has herniated and pinched your nerve. you need to have an mri, cat scan, e-ray, discography as soon as possible to either rule our or to rule in this problem. if you think sticking needles in your back will help then that is your choice. as far as a pa, i would get a new dr and as far as my experience you can see a pa but an ortho will see you after the pa. a pa is for screening purposes. get an ortho where you see an ortho and not a pa.you also need to hook up with a pain ddr asap to start controlling your pain and have pain dr and ortho work together. you need and i mean you need to have at least an mri and a discography asap. the last test is where they inject dye into disc to see if it is herniated. very painful test but it is good. and don;t forget the mri
    good luck with pain and if you need more suggestions feel free to use site or pm me if you like
    your friend in pain
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Hi Dorothy :H
    I can relate to the pain from spasms, and the fact that they can just take you unawares. The pain can be excruciating and can knock you off your feet.
    I hope you find some relief soon.
  • I too suffer from this terrible every now and then lower back mishaps and it is soo annoying to be in pain and have to go to work and sit in a chair all day! I was curious if anyone here knows whether drinking coffee on a regular basismakes pain worse?

Just wondering if it is the coffee that is causing all this distress!! It would be nice if I could blame it one thing...
  • I don't know about the coffee, but sitting in a chair all day at work is what my doc says is making my back worse.
  • You probably need surgery to relieve pressure off of the nerves in your lower back, thats the way it sounds to me. Have you had an MRI and seen a neurosurgeon with the results? I am prescribed valium for muscle spasms and stiffness and it works great but makes me drowsy. I also take oxycodone for pain which makes my pain less severe and more moderate but doesnt help a ton. Lyrica and neurontin did not work for me but I also need surgery again, which I will probably be having within the next month.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi Dorothy,
    usually your seen by a pa when things are status que and your just getting refills. So if things are different for you, you need to be seeing the pm doc. and making a new or different game plan. If he doesn't want to take the time then you need to find a new one.
    Good Luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.